PDA

View Full Version : Red Bud vase?

Josh Bowman
07-25-2010, 10:17 PM
Here's a chunk of red bud I got at my last wood turners meeting. I saw the guy turning the 5 foot log of cherry and tried to copy it on a smaller scale. If I had to do it again, I would make the roundish blank off center even more to make the bark at the bottom more pronounced. I haven't a clue what I'm doing, but managed not to break it! Now I have to figure out how to get the tenon off. Anyway it's about 9" tall and 4 1/2" at the base and 1 1/2" at the top, since I don't have any hollowing tools, I used the biggest brad point bit I had to predrill then used a 1 1/4" forstner bit to complete the 7" hole. It was all white until I put the tung oil on it. Then the top turned golden brown.

David E Keller
07-25-2010, 10:25 PM
That's a gnarly looking piece of wood... I like it. I must admit that it reminds me a little bit of a bong.

You can reverse it with jaws expanded lightly into the opening if your jaws will fit... Tail stock and light cuts. If not, you can turn a long spindle to hold in the jaws and slip it through the opening as a jam chuck. There's probably a better way, but I've had luck with both of those methods.

Jim Mahan
07-25-2010, 10:34 PM
That's awesome.

Tom Sherman
07-25-2010, 10:41 PM
This is cool Josh, kinda reminds me of a chimney on a lantern.

Bernie Weishapl
07-25-2010, 10:47 PM
That is pretty cool. Wood looks knarly for sure.

John Keeton
07-26-2010, 7:02 AM
That made a nice looking vase, Josh!! I have a couple chunks of redbud - need to see what they will do!

Mark Hubl
07-26-2010, 12:10 PM
Josh,

I like the piece. I agree, a little more bark on the bottom would enhance the look. The red bud looks very distinctive, nice colors.

David's suggestions for holding the piece will work. Don't jam it too tightly or it will split (don't ask me how I know), if you are a little loose use some facial tissue to help tighten it up. Use the tailstock and watch your speed (speed kills, don't ask me how I know). I would get the end down to a nub and then cut it off with a chisel and sand.

Allen Neighbors
07-26-2010, 12:42 PM
Yep, it also reminds me of a lamp chimney... Josh, that's a nice one. Now all you need are some hollowing tools... are you interested in trying your hand at making some hollowing tools?
I've turned some a little Redbud before... It turns pretty easily, and sure reminds me of some well-cured Bois d'Arc.

Josh Bowman
07-26-2010, 12:51 PM
Josh,

I like the piece. I agree, a little more bark on the bottom would enhance the look. The red bud looks very distinctive, nice colors.

I'm going to try to find another small log, I believe it should also be flared open on the top some....maybe an inch more then neck down then larger at the base. I want to try to get a point of bark that goes up about 1/2 way. I'm new to this, but I do think I'm ono something....it's just a matter of getting it right with the correct proportions.

Steve Schlumpf
07-26-2010, 1:10 PM
Interesting piece so far! Looking forward to seeing it finished!

charlie knighton
07-26-2010, 3:14 PM
Josh, very nice