PDA

View Full Version : Ambrosia maple wood Gloat

Jim Ketron
12-06-2004, 10:25 PM
Noticed one of my friends was cutting down a big maple tree down in his front yard. this tree is huge its about 5' thick at the base and about 9' up it split up into 6 big limbs and they are about 2' thick each. so I thought I would stop by to see if I could get me some to turn. and it turns out to be ambrosia maple:D so I loaded up some. I took this pic after the first trip I have about 2x the amount now!
Jim

Sparky Paessler
12-06-2004, 10:44 PM
Wow Jim nice haul! Does he have more? :D :D I'd love to get hold of some like that down here. I'm suppose to get two big walnuts soon but that maple looks great. Oh and thanks for comming by the other day and looking at my shop layout for sprinkler heads placement. Did you get those cole jaws made yet?

Jim Ketron
12-06-2004, 11:04 PM
Yep shure did Sparky Ill try to post a pic in the next day or so! Thanks again for the aluminum to make it:D

Now you now I will hook my buddies up!!!!!!
Im going to try and get some blanks cut up bye this weekend and get me some green wood sealer at WC to seal them up!
How do you want some? blanks, logs, let me know what size you want ;)
Jim

Glenn Hodges
12-07-2004, 12:42 AM
Super score! You will have some kind of nice bowls from this stuff.

Jim Becker
12-07-2004, 9:57 AM
You are welcome to "dump" some of that here in Pennsylvania if you don't have the room for it... :D (Nice haul, Jim...I really like turning ambrosia maple and it's also great for accenting flat work, such as in bookmatched panels)

John Shuk
12-07-2004, 3:57 PM
Jim K,
Nice haul on the Maple I love ambrosia too.
Jim B,
I might know a guy who is going to have to take a peice or two of Ambrosia out of the back of his truck to get a certain workbench into it in a couple of weeks in New Jersey.

Jim Becker
12-07-2004, 4:03 PM
I might know a guy who is going to have to take a peice or two of Ambrosia out of the back of his truck to get a certain workbench into it in a couple of weeks in New Jersey.
LOL! I can't imagine who that would be! But I suspect there will be a little room next to my friend Robert's MM16 that is going home that day in case "that guy" forgot to remove the maple from the truck before driving many miles to said show... :D

Jim Ketron
12-07-2004, 11:04 PM
Thanks Guys I hope I can do it justice!
I got some more today I have enough to make over 40 blanks and I might go get some more Im going to try and sale some of it as bowl blanks! got me some end sealer today and plan on getting it cut up this weekend and seald up:D
trying to make a fund for a bigger lathe:rolleyes:
Jim