PDA

View Full Version : Delta Lathe

Keith Westfall
07-25-2010, 9:39 PM
Something like this any good?

Model LA200. Includes: 'Talon' 4 jaw chuck, 12 assorted gouges and chisels, pen making mandrel, supplies and books. Over $850 new, asking $450 obo.

Thanks

Keith

Gary Max
07-25-2010, 10:11 PM
You have to break it down----what's the lathe worth then all the extras.
Sounds high to me but I don't really need another lathe---which makes a difference.

David E Keller
07-25-2010, 10:39 PM
I don't know anything about the lathe, but the goodies are worth a fair bit. A new talon chuck would set you back a couple of hundred bucks. If the tools and other stuff are worth much of anything, you may be looking at a pretty cheap lathe.

Bernie Weishapl
07-25-2010, 10:48 PM
I bought a used LA 200 and paid $200 for it. May not be a bad deal if the tools are any good.

Keith Westfall
07-25-2010, 11:11 PM
Thanks guys, may never know. I emailed (CL email address) and it came back as a no go permanent error type of thing. No phone number either. :confused:

Second time on CL I've had no luck - last time email AND phone number were no good...

Oh well, guess it wasn't to be. I really want the Delta midi 460 anyway :D

Keith Westfall
07-31-2010, 10:53 AM
So. After a bit of searching, I found his ad on Kijiji and decided to go for it. I hope this is a gloat! It is for me.

Though I haven't seen it yet as I am away on a work shift, I ended up with the lathe, a grinder, and misc stuff (pen blanks, assorted woods and as he said: "anything else that looked like it would go with a lathe"!)

He had to give it up on doctors orders (dust) so my good fortune I guess.

I'm hoping that it will work OK for me - not that I would know as I have only ever touched a turning tool twice in my life!!

Anyway, I looking forward to getting home next week and see what I got, (oh and yes, the wife too)

How much?? $550 for it all...

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/cid:4ECEDE1B04B849699BDE3C1B8D285072@Keith

David E Keller
07-31-2010, 10:56 AM
Way to go! All of those turning tools hanging on the wall behind look like they go with the lathe as does that talon chuck. Looks like you did well.

John Keeton
07-31-2010, 11:54 AM
Keith, that is a GLOAT!!!!:D Easily worth what you paid for all that stuff. But, I do have bad news:rolleyes:.....this is only the beginning! This is the most expensive "good deal" you will ever make!;):eek:

Nathan Hawkes
07-31-2010, 2:24 PM
Great gloat; I love to see the beginnings of people's turning careers. Its really your birthday, in the sense of the great deal "gift", and the start of something new. I can't say good things without a cautionary note however; First chance you get, put some 1/4" plywood boxes around those grinding wheels that are open in the front. Not only will they help keep the grinding dust confined to one area (and it will still get everywhere!!!!), but if a wheel were to crack, without guards in place it could be fatal. Seriously--there are some truly awful pictures of grinding wheel failures on the internet. It is pretty easy to make a wooden version of the "wolverine" or any other grinding jig setup for that matter, which could incorporate thin plywood guards around the wheels. Good luck, and happy turning!!!

Keith Westfall
07-31-2010, 9:29 PM
Thanks Guys!

I have watched other with their beginnings and realize that the spiral is starting to happen.

But I AM excited about it, and looking forward to giving it a try...

Apparently it came with a bunch of pen blanks and things as well.

Life is grand.

Allen Neighbors
08-01-2010, 4:11 PM
I think you just got a good deal!! Abyss is pulling you in!! :D