PDA

View Full Version : walnut salad bowl & maple w/rawhide!

Terry Achey
07-25-2010, 9:12 PM
finally.... after many weeks away from the tools I managed to get a couple days to finish some "in progress" pieces. The walnut bowl is 12" with Elmers epoxy inlay and 3/8" wall thickness. Finish is 5 light coats of General Salad Bowl finish sanded and buffed between coats. This piece is intended to indeed hold salad :D.

Spalted maple bowl is 10 1/2" and finished the same way plus R/wax buffed. The bowl was nice w/o the rawhide, but I decided to try this out just for fun. I have some other patterns in mind to try again sometime.

Terry

Baxter Smith
07-25-2010, 9:18 PM
Those are nice bowls with very creative ways of dressing them up!

Gary Max
07-25-2010, 9:30 PM
Heck I like the salad forks---those are very cool. Are they a pattern or your design??

charlie knighton
07-25-2010, 9:38 PM
very nice....

Allen Neighbors
07-25-2010, 9:41 PM
Love those bowls... the leather dressing is cool. The contrast on the walnut bowl is really nice. Salad forks? Great handles for a shaky old guy! Well done!

Terry Achey
07-25-2010, 9:58 PM
Gary,

I traced the design for the salad forks quite some time ago and then made these from cherry. I kept a pair for a pattern, too. Easy to make and popular with the ladies ;).

Terry

Wayne Bower
07-25-2010, 10:12 PM
Nice work. I like the use of other materials to accent the wood. Very cool.

David E Keller
07-25-2010, 10:36 PM
The whole lot looks good to me... both bowls and the salad utensils.

How did you complete the rawhide ends? I keep looking at the photos, but I can't find where it starts/stops?

Jim Mahan
07-25-2010, 10:37 PM
Incredible

James Combs
07-25-2010, 10:48 PM
Very nicely done on both bowls. Very unique. How about the salad forks would you consider posting the pattern?

Bernie Weishapl
07-25-2010, 10:50 PM
Great looking bowls. Salad forks look pretty neat.

Mark Hubl
07-25-2010, 11:38 PM
Very nice bowls. That piece of walnut is wonderful. Love the leather and maple, way cool.

Richard Madison
07-26-2010, 12:02 AM
Very nice work and what David said (where are the ends?).

Michelle Rich
07-26-2010, 7:12 AM
I like the slanting rawhide..makes the bowl very appealing

John Keeton
07-26-2010, 7:34 AM
Terry, while I like both, the walnut is the clear winner for me! Beautiful piece of wood, and I like the contrast of the epoxy ring.

The rawhide is a neat idea, and looks good on the maple. I wonder what it would do if recessed to be flush with the surface? Of course, that would be a BUNCH of carving, but might be interesting.

Terry Achey
07-26-2010, 8:58 PM
James,
I'd be happy to post the patter for the salad forks. I'll try later tonight.

David and Richard,
I cut short tapers on the rawhide ends and slipped the over lapped pieces into one of the holes along with a dab of instant glue.

John,
I think the idea of the rawhide in a recess would be nice, too. I have some other leather / wood combos in mind to try later. I've had an urge to combine the beauty of wood and other "natural" materials for awhile. I'd like to do some more experimenting as time permits.

Thanks for all the comments and please do feel free to offer constructive criticism as well. Most of what I know was learned from you all!

Terry

Frank Van Atta
07-28-2010, 12:54 PM
Great piece, Terry. Food for thought about a box of old tooling leather I've had hanging around for ages.