PDA

View Full Version : Another what's it?? Some kind of scraper...

Kemil Pepin
07-25-2010, 4:12 PM
I got this scraper with some others a while back, but do not know if it is a tool for woodworking or has some other use. I have not seen one like this before. It is about 9" long, the blade is 2"x3" and curved.

george wilson
07-25-2010, 4:20 PM
Looks home made to me. The scraper is crudely peened on,and the handle is a standard type of cheap file handle.

Kemil Pepin
07-25-2010, 5:02 PM
George, I was thinking the same thing.

Andrew Recher
07-25-2010, 5:38 PM
I remember we used to have something very similar to this in the basement when I was a kid. I think I was told it was for scraping hides. My Father did some trapping in his younger days. I could be wrong though, or I suppose it could have been repurposed for that use.

harry strasil
07-26-2010, 2:24 AM
I made several just like that years ago for the tire shops to scoop out the dirt in tires that used an innertube.

Kemil Pepin
07-26-2010, 11:03 PM
Thanks for the feedback...I have never heard of a tire scraper before. I will probably grind this tool to shape next time I need a custom shaped wood scraper...I will not be needing a hide or tire scraper any time soon!

Leigh Betsch
07-26-2010, 11:20 PM
Ok I'll say it before someone else does.
Looks like a tallow scraper for those that are wanting to scrape up a bunch-o-tallow. I think they maybe coming back in demand!

Seriously, I think it would be a useful tool for scraping hides, something I actually do once in a while so don't toss it out!

Andrew Recher
07-27-2010, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the feedback...I have never heard of a tire scraper before. I will probably grind this tool to shape next time I need a custom shaped wood scraper...I will not be needing a hide or tire scraper any time soon!

I said it was a hide scraper, but if memory serves me, after their divorce it became a litter box scraper.:o

Kemil Pepin
07-28-2010, 9:24 PM
Seriously, I think it would be a useful tool for scraping hides, something I actually do once in a while so don't toss it out!

Leigh, If you can use this tool I can pass it on to you for the cost of postage...

Kemil

Leigh Betsch
07-28-2010, 10:30 PM
OK sounds like a deal. I assume it can fit in a flat rate US Mail box, for about $11 or so.
I plan to tan another hide this fall so I should get some use out of it.
I'll send you a pm and we an work out the details.