PDA

View Full Version : Please, Help buying a new truck

Lori Kleinberg
07-25-2010, 12:09 PM
:confused::confused: I have spent the last couple of months researching a new vehicle. I am a big vehicle lover and I want alot of bells and whistles without spending a fortune :eek:. I have pretty much narrowed it down to a Ford F-150 Platinum or a Dodge 1500 Laramie.
I do not need to tow or haul a whole lot, but have to have 4X4, leather, back up camera, as I said all/most of the bells and whistles.

Which would you buy and why?

Tim Morton
07-25-2010, 12:15 PM
I would be hard pressed not to have the Tundra on my short list of ONE.:cool:

Matt Meiser
07-25-2010, 1:32 PM
I've got the F150 in 2WD with XLT trim. Hands down best vehicle I've ever owned or rented. I could have bought either a 4WD without many bells/whistles, a 2WD crew cab the same way, or a 2WD Supercab with Sync, integrated trailer brake contrlol, etc. I wish I had the rear camera but don't Same with leather. I've got the 4.6 and its more than powerful enough to tow our 3000lb camper up to Maine last year.

When you get it, get the bed sprayed with liner (I have Rhino which I liked because it didn't need to cure overnight due to being a hot spray process.) And if you are thinking of a tonneau, consider the Bakflip (http://www.bakfliptonneaucover.com/). I've had mine for a little over a year now and its much better than the soft covers I've had in the past and have had numerous occasions where a conventional 1 piece hard cover would have caused problems. Incidentally, Ford specified the Bakflip as an OEM part on the Harley Edition F-series a couple years ago and the manufactuer made some improvements to meet Fords durability test requirements.

Bob Turkovich
07-25-2010, 4:33 PM
My completely unbiased opinion is that you should go with the Ram Laramie 1500....(the fact that I'm a Chrysler retiree has nothing to do with it ;)).

That being said, a few years ago I convinced my then DIL-to-be - who came from a long family line of Ford truck owners - to test drive a Dodge 1500 w/ the Hemi engine. She decided to go with the Hemi. When her lease expired, she re-upped for a second Hemi. (Note: she had access to "Friends" lease price for either the Ford or Dodge so there was no special price advantage.)

Sounds like her vehicle desires are similar to yours, although she and my son pull a boat/snowmobiles from time-to-time.

Frankly, either truck should serve you well.

Jim Rimmer
07-25-2010, 5:52 PM
I have a 2010 F150 Lariat with all the bells and whistles and I love it. I am a long time F series driver (started when they were F100s) and I have never had a problem with them.

BTW, as near as I can tell, the difference between a Lariat and Platinum is that the bells and whistles are options on Lariat and stanadard on Platinum and you get a few extras on the Platinum. I would look for a loaded up Lariat - price difference is about $4K and I don't know what else I could get that would add up to $4K.

Ruhi Arslan
07-25-2010, 6:21 PM
I do not need to tow or haul a whole lot, but have to have 4X4, leather, back up camera, as I said all/most of the bells and whistles.

Which would you buy and why?

Ridgeline XLT w/Navi would have all you need/want in a ready package. By the time you add all those "necessities" all the rest will be in the same price range. If you can live with 5' long bed and truck bed cargo trunk and don't mind being able to haul only 1500lb worth of 4x8' plywood, you'll have a "car like" comfortable "truck". I have a 2007 and waiting the delivery of 2011 this week. I transport motorcycle, drive 700 miles in one day loaded, have room for the dog on the back seat, move 1/2 yard stone dust, dirt, mulch, top soil... I mean I use it like a "truck".

Aaron Hastings
07-25-2010, 6:54 PM

I have a 2007 Tundra. While I love the truck, it sat in the shop for 2.5 months while waiting for air intake valves and regulators. Why so long of a wait? Apparently the problem was widespread and wasn't part of a recall, so there was a 10 week backorder. Toyota was so inundated that they fixed the $4000 problem for free as so many customers were complaining. Got to give them credit for that as the truck is out of warranty.

I love the truck when it's running well. But the notion that Toyota is still making the most dependable vehicles is over.

Walt Nicholson
07-25-2010, 6:59 PM
Which truck is best can open up a whole box of opinions like which router/saw etc. is best. Since any new truck is a huge investment, take opinion out of the equation and look at published data. Ford sales are increasing (they did not take a bail out, good press, etc.) Dodge sales are not. Toyota sales took a big hit because of brake problems, Tundra rust outs, Lexus engine failures, etc. As a result resale values of those vehicles has changed accordingly (Ford up, others down) based on current Kelley Blue book and NADA values. Ford future viability as a manufacturer looking very strong based on recent profits, sales, quality ratings, etc. Chrysler/Fiat/US Government alliance still fuzzy for long term. (based on Wall Street Journal, New York Times, Forbes, etc.) Consumer Reports rates Ford products at the top, Chrysler overall came in dead last. All this equates to better return for your money with the Ford. They both look good, drive good and will do the job you want to do. One just appears to be a better investment. No affiliation with Ford and don't own one. Just my 2 cents.

Joe Pelonio
07-25-2010, 7:03 PM
I'd go with Ford too. I have the smaller cousin, a 2007 Ranger and love it,
no problems since late 2006 when I bought it. We also have a 2002 Jeep liberty (Chrysler product) which has been OK, but not as trouble-free, and it took several tries to find a service department that didn't try to rip us off or just did poor (even dangerous) work.

Jim Finn
07-25-2010, 7:21 PM
Last month I bought a 2010 Nissan Titan. For the same bells and whistles it is thousands cheaper than the Ford F-150 I was considering.

Lori Kleinberg
07-25-2010, 7:44 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Even though I asked for opinions, I will not necessarily buy the most popular. I listen to the reasons given and will also take into consideration the reviews mentioned.
Thank you all.

Oh... my husband thought maybe a Tahoe/Yukon would be easier for me to drive because they are shorter vehicles. Just what I needed ... something else thrown into the mix.

Scott T Smith
07-25-2010, 8:14 PM
Lori, in the past ten years my wife and I have driven Yukon's, Excursions, Ford trucks, and my in-laws have driven the Dodge Ram.

I prefer the Ford over the Dodge, because my experience has been that the Dodge's will develop some squeaks and small, irritating problems over time, that we have not experienced with the Fords or Yukon. Our '03 Excursion has 130K+ miles on it and still rides quiet and smooth (and the diesel gets 20mpg on the highway).

I also like the fact that Ford opted not to accept any Govt bailout $, and were able to return their company to profittability w/o taxpayer assistance. That says a lot to me and I like to spend my $ with a company that is managing itself well.

A friend of mine has a Platinum F150, and loves it. I have an '08 King Ranch pickup, and I really like it a lot.

At the end of the day, they are both probably good choices.

Paul Ryan
07-25-2010, 8:59 PM
I am a dodge fan for many reasons. I suggest the Dodge over the ford. The reasons: HEMI motor, more horsepower and torque, and better fuel economy, ford does not have a MDS system in the F-150's. The dodge will have better resale value when it comes time to trade. The dodge has a better powertrain and equal bumper to bumper warranties. The 545RFE tranny in the dodge is bullet proof. And Lastly as part of my job I see many more engine issues with fords (timing chain tensioners) than with dodges.

Brian Elfert
07-25-2010, 11:10 PM
I have had three Ford trucks and one Dodge truck. Guess which I like better? I no longer have a truck at all since I switched to a motorhome.

A huge reason I got rid of the Dodge was because of the stupid quad cab. That back seat had zero room and the seat back was practically at a right angle. A real crew cab has plenty of rear seat room. Another thing I didn't like about my 2003 Dodge was the wind noise. The doors flexed so much I could feel them moving in and out which let in outside air.

These may be things of the past as Dodge now has a real crew cab and the doors may be better too.

Dave Lehnert
07-25-2010, 11:11 PM
You can have problems with any brand.

I once owned a Doge in the 80's. That truck left me stranded along the road half dozen times with electrical problems. The transmission was always slipping but dealer said they could not find a problem. Got rid of that truck at 64K miles and was glad to see it go.
Purchased a 1997 F150. That year V6 had a major problem with the engine. Had to replace that engine at 74K miles. (my expense $4K :eek:) That being said it is my favorite truck. Never has left me stranded. Dispointed in Ford. They knew they had a bad engine but did nothing about it. I still drive that truck because I love it so much.

A word about Toyota, I had a friend that had a Toyota car and the engine went bad out of warranty just like my truck. Toyota replaced the engine FREE! because they said that should have never happed.
I love my FORD but will look at Toyota next time to see what they offer. But most likely buy another FORD,

Lori Kleinberg
07-26-2010, 1:49 AM
I have said it before and I will say it again, you guys are great. Your replies of information and opinions is just what I needed. You have helped in the past, even saving me money on repairs, now, with all this information to help me decide on a vehicle.
So as it stands now I am going to go for the Ford truck. If for some reason that does not work out I will then probably go with a Yukon.
I know these are 2 different kinds of vehicles, but I have my reasons.

First, I want to support/buy American (please I do know most of the foreign cars are built here in America, but I want one of the American, big three).
Second, I totally agree about Ford digging its way out of a hole all by itself, very impressive.
Third is friends and family discount, so price could be a real factor. I want all the toys but would not mind saving some money. My biggest hesitation with Ford is the service available around here, we have not had much luck.
I picked the Yukon second because I always wanted a Tahoe/Yukon. I don't know how many times I let myself be talked out of buying one.

So hopefully by next weekend I will have a spiffy new vehicle with all the bells and whistles to play with.

Neal Clayton
07-26-2010, 5:56 AM
A word about Toyota, I had a friend that had a Toyota car and the engine went bad out of warranty just like my truck. Toyota replaced the engine FREE! because they said that should have never happed.

and the last time i bought an american made vehicle, for the alternative ending to that, the horn didn't work right off the lot. brushes defective. they tried to charge me to fix the brushes in a vehicle that wouldn't pass inspection due to having no horn. had to argue with the dealer for an hour about it to get them to fix it free of charge.

and so my current truck is a toyota, for that reason.

ford, admittedly, is not too bad. have alot of friends/family with ford vehicles that seem to hold up fine.

GM, i think, on the other hand has fallen way too far in quality. for the same amount of people i know with ford vehicles that do fine, an equal number have GM vehicles with way too many 'fit and finish' issues in a short period of time. rattles and pops from interior pieces coming loose, simple mechanisms like door/window electronics and thermostats and such going bad, etc. etc. etc.

and just on philosophical grounds i didn't really care for their TV ad claiming they had "paid back" their bailout money either, which was pretty much a flat out lie (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/02/business/02gret.html?_r=1&ref=business). they didn't pay any of it back, they let uncle sam keep the stock the government bought rather than buying it back, and drew down a line of credit they had with the government to pay off the first loan with another loan. ironically, the net result is a loss (the money for the TV ads). nothing else changed.

if they'll lie to everyone on national TV about their financial situation they'd surely lie to me about the quality of a vehicle.

Chuck Wintle
07-26-2010, 7:31 AM

Same here! Best pickup on the market :D

John Shuk
07-26-2010, 8:21 AM
I've driven mostly American cars my adult life. I can't honestly say that they have done much to earn my business over the years. Too many expensive fixes of stuff that should not need replacement. Unresponsive dealers. It is too bad.

Brian Elfert
07-26-2010, 9:32 AM
I always purchase vehicles based on if they are a good value and fit for me. Where they are made is pretty far down on my list. My dad used to be an American car guy, but his last purchase was a Hyundai although I think it is made in America.

My current vehicle is a GM, but it is really a Toyota underneath. I have a Pontiac Vibe which has a Toyota drivetrain. My only problem is the heat which is probably a design issue. Most cars provide enough heat even at zero degrees to cook you. The Vibe provides less than adequate heat and the dealer says it is fine.

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-26-2010, 9:54 AM
Oh... my husband thought maybe a Tahoe/Yukon would be easier for me to drive because they are shorter vehicles. Just what I needed ... something else thrown into the mix.

My daughter had a Yukon. Her experience was that it was cheesy, tinny, broke and fell apart too easy, failed to perform even as advertised, was a maintenance nightmare and did not go where you pointed it - super boaty feeling when driving.

American car and truck makers have developed a way of building vehicles that rely on fundamental designs. For example if you spend a little time googling how many cars were built on the Dodge Neon frame and suspencion you will be surprised ( I think) at how much pure garbage they gussied up all fancy and sold to an unsuspecting public. IT's like that across the spectrum and it's done because it's cheaper. It costs less to buy one set to tooling to be used across a wide spectrum of models.

Trucks are a little different as the weight classes ought to require differences in more than mere component parts. But GMC tends to be GMC no matter what fancy pants sheet metal they put it on it. So, one might always as oneself the question from that 1960's advertisement: "Wouldn't you rather have a Buick?" To which my answer is: not on your life I wouldn't.

Dave Wagner
07-26-2010, 12:55 PM
I have 2004 Ford F150, 4x4, supercab, 5.4L, FX4 Offroad, leather, etc..Bought is used with 12K miles. I Love it. It's only been to the shop once in 5 years! Except for a broken front spring and new tires. We Tow a car hauler a few times, Seats 4 pretty good. Runs good.

Jim Rimmer
07-26-2010, 1:12 PM
Check this link: http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/f150/gallery/videos-and-demos/
It's produced by Ford so it is slanted toward the F150 but it has 20 videos about 3 minutes each comparing Tundra, Ford, Chevy, and Dodge in various areas such as towing, frame, safety, etc.

I have an F150 with 5.5 ft bed and crew crab. A couple of comments:
1. I went to the lumber yard this weekend and picked up some Baltic Birch. I was a little concerned because of the short bed but it fits. So you can haul a 5x5 sheet in it. All cos. played a game with the bed when they made the back seats bigger for soccer moms. They added length to the cab and shortend the bed so they made the beds taller since they are rated in cubic feet. But so far I have hauled what I need but I don't haul really big stuff.
2. Ford flattened the rear floor - the hump is gone so when you fold the seats up the storage is flat.
3. I added a rollup bed cover. I think the brand is rol-lock. So far, I like it. Rolls up when you need to haul tall items. Watertight when you need it. Vinyl over aluminum and lockable so it's secure.

Horton Brasses
07-26-2010, 1:58 PM
I would go with the Ford Platinum, that is just a darn sweet truck. I have a decked out Nissan Titan which I love, but I would take the Platinum if I was buying today. It has the nicest interior on a truck I have ever seen, and one of the nicest interiors I have ever seen on any vehicle. Everything Ford is putting out right now looks excellent.

I too like that Ford didn't take bailout money. That said; if I remember correctly Ford asked for bailout money but the gov't wouldn't give them any because they seemed on surer footing (which they are).

Ben Hatcher
07-26-2010, 2:10 PM
Why a truck at all? Why not an Expedition/Suburban/Tahoe? The last time I was shopping I was convinced that a truck would be my next purchase. When I started thinking about it, the Expedition made so much more sense. Sure, I have to rent a trailer to get bulk mulch, dirt, or to haul large items like brush. But I have the advantage of being able to keep everything inside and secured, and I can haul 8 people in complete comfort. The inside width is 49" so plywood is no problem to haul. I would get the EL version as my cargo area is only 7' 6" long. As for quality, eh, it is what it is. Mine rattles like crazy, but then I don't exactly baby it.

Bob Turkovich
07-26-2010, 2:41 PM
American car and truck makers have developed a way of building vehicles that rely on fundamental designs. For example if you spend a little time googling how many cars were built on the Dodge Neon frame and suspencion you will be surprised ( I think) at how much pure garbage they gussied up all fancy and sold to an unsuspecting public. IT's like that across the spectrum and it's done because it's cheaper. It costs less to buy one set to tooling to be used across a wide spectrum of models.

Cliff,

Your comment regarding the Neon is misleading. If my memory serves me correctly, the answer is two. (Neon & PT Cruiser - and other than front crossmember, basic suspension & some powertrain, I can't remember much else common between those two). (You can't believe everything you read on the internet......;))

While I understand the basic premise of your point, you need to include the Japanese manufacturers in your statement. As part of the continuing effort to improve quality and reduce cost, we were constantly performing teardown comparisons of all the other major competitiors' products. No one came close to using common components/design as Toyota.

The car companies can take two basic approaches: 1.) They can do a few basic designs, try to do them right and then build and adapt from them. 2.) They can create individual groups and send them off on their own. It will result - maybe - in a vehicle that more likely suits the wants of the specific customer but it will take more people and more tooling cost.

During my time in the industry, we tried both approaches (unfortunately, multiple times :() depending on the management. Approach 1 can lead to designs that basically meet the customers wants but may not have much soul. Approach 2 can lead to designs that are either hits or misses.

Joe Pelonio
07-26-2010, 2:47 PM
I am forced to take back what I said about my trouble-free 2007 Ranger
with 40,000 miles, after I took it in this morning for service. One of the CV axles is starting to leak. Thankfully though, it's covered by the 5 year power train warranty so I won't have to pay for it. Unless you are buying a 4 wheel drive this particular problem won't happen on whatever you choose.

Jim Becker
07-26-2010, 4:48 PM
Of the two you mention, I'd probably opt for the Ford...I just like them a lot better. But I'm with Tim...I'd buy another Tundra if I ever went back to a pick'em'up'truck.

Chris Padilla
07-26-2010, 5:12 PM
Toyota all the way for me. I had a little 1990 Toyota pick-up and it is still going today. I sold it to my nanny's son for $1050. He took real nice care of it, even got it painted, and sold it recently for $3k!! I could hardly believe it!

Anyway, I replaced it with a 2007 Tacoma, Double-Cab, Long Bed. 35k on it and so far the temperature sensor inside the cab (headliner) died on me. Warranty took care of it.

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-26-2010, 10:39 PM
If my memory serves me correctly, the answer is two. (Neon & PT Cruiser - and other than front crossmember, basic suspension & some powertrain, I can't remember much else common between those two). (You can't believe everything you read on the internet......;))

It was an NPR radio broadcast - not that they have a corner on ultimate accuracy , but tend to be a tad better than the internet-s .

[quote] No one came close to using common components/design as Toyota.[quote]
Yah I was surprised at the MR2 car.

Lexus' new sports car and the Dodge viper being notable exceptions

Lori Kleinberg
08-04-2010, 4:48 PM
UPDATE... Well, I finally got my new vehicle on Saturday 7/31/10. I went with the 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie crew cab. I didn't get all the bells and whistles but did end up with most of them. Below are a couple of pics, its a little dirty right now due to monsoon season.

Thank you again for all the opinions, although I didn't actually buy what the majority reccommended, I do like hearing what others have to say. It helps me to think everything out.

157470 157472

157473 157474

Dave Lehnert
08-04-2010, 5:27 PM
I love that color blue.
Keep us up to date with any problem or Not. I will need a new truck soon.

Mike Cruz
08-05-2010, 7:09 AM
We have two Chevy 3/4 ton pick ups (wonder what that would be in metric? :rolleyes:). One is an 03 and the other an 04. Love them both. The seats are WAY more comfy than Ford's. Been burned by Dodge too many times. HIGHLY recommend the diesel (as both of our's are). Fuel milage is way better, emmissions are cleaner, more power when/if you need it. Both trucks have about 120 or so thousand miles on them. Yes, they've been in the shop here or there for unscheduled things, but what vehicle isn't? Nothing that would turn me away from them. And Chevy has been really good about honoring waranty things...and even some things that were just out of waranty. I paid around $36-37 for each with lots of bells and whistles (listed for mid to upper 40's) except leather...don't like it.

These are the first and only vehicles we've had for more than 5 years...in our lives. Would highly recommend them to others.

Paul Greathouse
08-05-2010, 9:45 AM
Mike

I'm real familiar with Ford and Dodge diesels but not so much with Chevy. I am leaning toward Chevy/GMC for my next truck which will be a 3/4 ton diesel. What kind of fuel mileage do you get with them? Are they 4wd? Do you happen to know the rearend gear ratio?

Steve Costa
08-05-2010, 1:43 PM
I have a 2010 F-150 Lariat, Crew Cab, 6 1/2' bed. Second F150 I have owned. First one went 78K Miles & lasted six years with 2 minor repairs.
Next truck F-150. This is from a guy whose spouse retired from a GM susbsidary (Hughes Aircraft) & could have gotten either a GMC or Chevy cheaper!!!!

Steve

Paul Ryan
08-05-2010, 1:53 PM
Great choice and nice looking pickup Lori. I think you will be very happy with your choice.

Mike Cruz
08-05-2010, 2:33 PM
Yes, both are 4 wheel drive. Both have 373 rears. Mine averages 17.5 mpg on a tank. My wife's gets her 19.5 mpg. The difference between our trucks is that her's has a rolltop cover on the bed. That is it! I know the Mythbusters did a thing on tailgates down/removed for mpg and found nothing. But apparently covering the entire bed does make a difference. NOTE: I'm actually a lot lighter on the pedal on the right than she is, so it isn't driving habits... Another note: on long drives, (all highway) I get about 23 mpg. We got 26 mpg in my wife's going to the Outer Banks. My truck is almost 7 yo, and my wife's is almost 8.

Paul Greathouse
08-05-2010, 6:52 PM
Yes, both are 4 wheel drive. Both have 373 rears. Mine averages 17.5 mpg on a tank. My wife's gets her 19.5 mpg. The difference between our trucks is that her's has a rolltop cover on the bed. That is it! I know the Mythbusters did a thing on tailgates down/removed for mpg and found nothing. But apparently covering the entire bed does make a difference. NOTE: I'm actually a lot lighter on the pedal on the right than she is, so it isn't driving habits... Another note: on long drives, (all highway) I get about 23 mpg. We got 26 mpg in my wife's going to the Outer Banks. My truck is almost 7 yo, and my wife's is almost 8.

Thanks Mike, good to hear that the GM diesels get good mileage. Actually a bit better than the Ford diesels I've owned (93' and 99'models) and your averages are right in line with the Dodges that a few people I know have and your wifes is better on all highway.