PDA

View Full Version : 8 inch jointer/planer

Karl Card
07-25-2010, 7:06 AM
I have had my planer/jointer for about 5/6 months now and finally got around to setting it up this morning.

Got to reading the booklet written in very bad english and it said not to plane anything over 4 inches wide.

This puzzles me since it is an 8 inch wide planer. My understand is that you could go possibly 16 inches wide and do one side at a time for each face.

Can anyone elaborate on why the instructions would say only 4 inches wide on an 8 inch planer/jointer?

Personally I think it was a universal manual and probably used on other machines..

Paul McGaha
07-25-2010, 8:52 AM
Karl,

As you suggested maybe it was from a manual written for another tool or maybe it's just a typo?

If the tool has 8" knives and beds 8" wide I would assume it can work wood 8" wide.

Just my $.02.

PHM

Rod Sheridan
07-25-2010, 9:21 AM
Karl, that's kind of weird, what machine is it?

Regards, Rod.

Myk Rian
07-25-2010, 9:47 AM
Knowing how that English can be, maybe it means 4" thick.

John Thompson
07-25-2010, 11:28 AM
There is a reason you have 8" knives.. use all 8"! :) No clue why it states 4" but don't believe it cause your owners manual stated it. Probably a typo error or an 8 yr. old proofread the print. haha

Karl Card
07-25-2010, 2:26 PM
The manual was writeen in taiwan , need I say more...lol

66 inch bed with 8 inch knives so I pretty much am going to use it to its fullest.

It is not a high end planer but I thin will do my just fine for home work shop stuff. It is made by enco, seems to be pretty well built, the beds were able to be propely aligned fairly easily. 2hp motor, hoping to get the electrical plug on it today and hit the power button.
This was a doscontinued model from enco and I got it new in the shipping case for 300.

Chip Lindley
07-25-2010, 11:53 PM
Perhaps a max of 4" wide is recommended because the manufacturer fears that face-jointing 8" wide stock might overTAX the motor and cause warranty problems? I think I would take them to task and find out before the warranty runs out!

Otherwise, Chinese often loses much in translation to English. An 8" jointer can and should joint up to 8" wide in one pass.