PDA

View Full Version : Black Palm Box

Mark Hubl
07-25-2010, 1:55 AM
Not sure I will do Black Palm again. Kind of nasty stuff to turn. It does look interesting though. This is another small box. The finial is number 2 and it is unfortunately a little shorter then was planned. I lost the last inch and bead at the top when parting it off. Not confident about turning these without tailstock support yet.

I used the vinegar & steelwool ebonizing treatment on the walnut parts. I think I may try making another finial that is a bit taller.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4116/4826093414_1dbd848208_b.jpg

William Hutchinson
07-25-2010, 5:58 AM
Very nice and thoughtful selection of materials.

Karl Card
07-25-2010, 6:19 AM
Oh wow..... that is , uhm well I really cant find the words to describe it greater than great...

The wood and the black finial are just a solid match...made in heaven..

The complete package is just, well, wonderful and awesome..

I wished I could do that sort of thing.... I still cant master a bowl.

John Keeton
07-25-2010, 7:03 AM
Mark, I guess it is inappropriate for a viewer to say "worth the effort!" I didn't have to do the turning.

But, from here, this piece certainly appears to have been worth it!! Great little piece (not sure on the dimensions), and your "design opportunity" with the finial may have been fortuitous. The form is beautiful, and all appears to me to be in good proportions. A taller finial may not do the trick.

Very nice finish on the palm. I am not familiar with this wood, but it certainly has curb appeal, and the black accoutrements really make the piece.

BTW, the first finial I ever attempted with tailstock support - blew it in a zillion pieces when I tried to part it off. After that, I use the tailstock only briefly to hog off the bulk of the wood.

Josh Bowman
07-25-2010, 8:18 AM
I like the height of the top. I think the piece is beautiful as is.

Michelle Rich
07-25-2010, 8:33 AM
I think it's just grand as it stands. The shape/wood/finial..great combo.

David Christopher
07-25-2010, 8:40 AM
Mark, that piece is beautiful

Jim Underwood
07-25-2010, 9:24 AM
Very nice piece. In total agreement with the others on the black finial. I'd be proud to have this piece sitting on my mantel.

I lost the last inch and bead at the top when parting it off. Not confident about turning these without tailstock support yet.

The trick to doing this is to use a chuck, and start way out on the very end, working your way back to the base, never, ever, ever, ever, going back out to the end... That being said, the last few times I worked on one of these, I made several "blown" attempts before getting it right...:eek::rolleyes::D

Paul Douglass
07-25-2010, 9:28 AM
I think all you hollow form guys ought to get together and put together a book of pictures. These forms are definately art work. This one here belongs up close to the front. Beautiful in all respects.

Baxter Smith
07-25-2010, 9:29 AM
Very , very nice Mark. I like the rounded top on the finial. It all makes for a very smooth flow to the piece, up one side and down the other.

Richard Madison
07-25-2010, 9:32 AM
That's a beauty Mark. What finish on the palm? Height of the finial is about right just as it is. Might want to do one with a slightly more delicate look just for comparison.

Peter Hay in Aus
07-25-2010, 9:43 AM
Mark,
I have used Black Palm for pens and it is one heck of a challenge, it seems the fibrous stuff is just ready to pop out of line and for me has been a real pain to cut dress and finish. The product you have produced I am in awe the Finial is very reminiscent of Richard Raffan with the finial detail. I join with others and say you handled the proportions nicely, any taller could lose it for mine. The Ebonising is matched by the superb Photographs, all in all you are a master craftsman. Congrats from here. Peter.

Alan Trout
07-25-2010, 10:08 AM
Mark, The finial IMHO is just perfect as and overall form is also perfect. I love the way palm looks but do understand it can be kind of a bugger. I have some big chunks that I harvested a couple of years ago. I might have to cut it into blanks and give it a go.

Thanks for sharing.

Alan

Allen Neighbors
07-25-2010, 10:15 AM
I ditto the above! Along with the superb form and finish, I especially like the way the collar and finial base, continually repeat the shape of the top of the piece... just stair-stepping your way up to the great finial. Excellence in art!

Michael James
07-25-2010, 10:38 AM
I got a splinter just picking up a chunk of this stuff at Woodcraft, so I aint workin it. I think the turning gods were watching over this one, cuz Im with everyone who says "perfect".:)
A lot of you folks are doing very nice stuff with ebonizing - that IS on my list to try.
Keep it up,
mj

David E Keller
07-25-2010, 10:40 AM
Very nice. I love the look of palm... The endgrain areas are so unique. I like the proportions of the piece as a whole. I'd proudly display a piece like this one.

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
07-25-2010, 11:00 AM
What everyone else said . . .

Awesome looking piece.

Scott Hackler
07-25-2010, 11:40 AM
Very nice and well balanced. I dont think the finial needs to be any longer. Now you've scared me about chucking up the black palm blank I bought!

Bernie Weishapl
07-25-2010, 12:11 PM
Mark that is a beauty. I really like the form and finish.

charlie knighton
07-25-2010, 12:20 PM
very nice...

Mark Hubl
07-25-2010, 11:21 PM
Thanks to all for the C&C and thank you for indulging me on these. I have a couple more small chunks to play with. I have some ebony to play with as well, knowing that it can be a bear. These are fun and challenging, wish I had tackled them a little sooner, well worth the effort.

I still cant master a bowl.

Karl, Thanks for your comments. If you have noticed from my posts, bowls are not really in my comfort zone at this point either.

BTW, the first finial I ever attempted with tailstock support - blew it in a zillion pieces when I tried to part it off. After that, I use the tailstock only briefly to hog off the bulk of the wood.

John, I was going to ask if you were using the "full Drozda" method. I am jam chucking, but the tailstock is like a comforting blanky. I am glad it is there because design is still forced and a tweak here and there needed. I am going to have to try one with the tail stock off.

Size is similar to the last piece. This is only about 4/12" tall and 3 1/2" wide. A little chunkier than the last I posted, but a little thicker. Thanks for the input.

What finish on the palm?

The palm is only buffed with the Beall stuff. I put some MS on it and I thought that any finish would only muddle the palm. I also think the the light areas darken quickly, I believe they were lighter after first cutting but darkened over night. It seemed the contrast was greater when doing the piece, but I could be a little off my rocker.

I have used Black Palm for pens and it is one heck of a challenge, it seems the fibrous stuff is just ready to pop out of line and for me has been a real pain to cut dress and finish.

Peter, Thanks and welcome. Palm is definetly a challenge. Can not image on a pen body. CA may be a great finish on this stuff. This piece does have some "blemishes", not so much tear out as disintegration.

Richard Madison
07-26-2010, 12:11 AM
Thanks Mark.