PDA

View Full Version : 100% CPU usage issue fix

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-24-2010, 11:52 PM
I've run XP for a long while and I'm a big fan of opening up my registry and other internal Windows utilities and fiddling with them.

As I have added to the bulk of data on my hard drives I have observed that there often seems not enough CPU and memory because the CPU usage jumps to 100% for no apparent reason and the system gets annoyingly sluggish and unresponsive. It stays that way for annoying periods.

I used to wonder if my box was hijacked by a worm or trojan. IT was not.

It's the bloody damn indexing function of windows.
The more data you have the longer and more intense the indexing process is. This because the stupid computer software forces the software to go over the whole HD and take a little look at every single bit and byte on the disks. And worse it seems incapable of doing this in the background.
The operation wants to be front center stage and screw you the owner 'cause your operating system is made by Bill Gates and he's better than you ( or some such insane logic).

The executable for this is "cidaemon.exe"
It's a windows executable file that causes an index of the whole system to be generated. It's more a luxury for microsoft than it is for you.

If this 100% CPU usage is a problem for you do not purchase any of those stupid REGISTRY CLEANERS. With the exception of Norton and PC tools They are pretty much all pure garbage. Instead do this:
in the START dialog box open the RUN command window Into that windot type "services.msc" (without the quote marks)

That will take you to another dialog box titles only "Services" (no quote marks).
Scrolls down to an entry titles "indexing service" and double click on it.
Yet another dialog box will open up allowing you to disable the indexing service.

In the middle of that dialog boc there will be a drop down menue available with three option: Automatic, Manual, and Disabled. Choose Disabled and reboot.
That'll be the end of your 100% CPU usage and sluggish PC operation stalls

Oh and get a little $20.00 piece of software called: Registry Trash Keys Finder. It's cheap and very powerful medicine. It also has the wonderful quality of eliminating what I call illegal software that the makers of an awful lot of trial ware load to your box and shield from you secretly making entries in your registry against your will and without your knowledge called ARMADILLO keys. IT is able to delete them.

I say it is illegal because nowhere do you ever agree to this kind of invasion of your computer by the makers of trial ware software and the crappy performance it eventually causes as the entries build up.
I think you could easily construct a viable civil complaint against them in mass tort for damages, but it would not likely be worth your financial trouble. Instead defeat them by deleting their invasive secretly laid entries

Dan Hintz
07-25-2010, 7:03 AM
I disabled indexing the first day I installed the OS... it's a PITA and I have yet to see it actually provide any form of speed-up when searching for something (it's enabled at work and I tend to search for a phrase in a file rather than a file itself... slow as all get out).

Not illegal to add keys to the registry, though... you implicitly agree to it simply by installing the trial, and it's not like the key is a rootkit actually doing anything to your system. Yes,it takes up space and the OS has to read through the keys on boot, but it's not activating any program, so you're fine.

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-25-2010, 12:16 PM
Not illegal to add keys to the registry, though... you implicitly agree to it simply by installing the trial,

Well that's the rub and why I say it is illegal.
There is no implicit in contract law. Every thing must be express.

the key is a rootkit actually doing anything to your system. Actually it does. I clogs it up and over time there's just so bloody much of it.

it's not activating any program, so you're fine.Yah I sort of kind of agree. There is an argument to be made that it's all fairly trivial stuff. But it's done without permission and has a negative effect. IT's also a form of trespass occupying space on private property by deceptive means. An Analogy might be the guy who is working for the lawn maintenance company who secretly slips onto your property while the mowers and leaferds are working, but when they all pack up and go home he remains secretly hiding in some dark place in your property. Any argument that the land owner impliedly agreed to his unending permanent and secret residence on the landowner's property would fall apart rather quickly, I should think.

Mind you, I am not a developer for a software company. I'm an attorney with a concentration in transactional law. Ergo I see things that a great many folks might brush off as just par for the course. In my universe I've seen enormous sums in dollars and services changing hands per court order that the original transacting parties (at least one of them) was not ready for and which came to them as a very ugly surprise. And sometimes it all hinges on things as seemingly trivial as comma placement in contract clauses.

So I say it's illegal to install anything on another person's computer without an express agreement articulating the thing to be installed - and I say it is, even if the developers designed it to self delete when the trial period etc is over with.