PDA

View Full Version : Another hollow form

Alan Trout
07-24-2010, 9:00 PM
Ok Friends,

Here is another piece I finished a few month's ago. I am going to do another similar to this one when I get the time. This one was kind of labor intensive as I have at least 40hrs in it a lot of processes are involved. I might be able to shave a few hours of it as I know better what I am doing. This was my first attempt at a project like this.

It is acorn caps in tinted resin with a live oak burl cap in the same tinted resin. The finish is CA. The next one I do will be a bit bigger this one is 10" by about 5" pretty much a blue egg. This is another one of my favorites. I gave this one to my mother for her 73rd birthday. It made me feel pretty good when she opened the package she cried with joy. This is from a lady that had 6 brothers and I have maybe seen her cry 2 times my entire life.

Again cheers or jeers welcome.

Alan

Steve Schlumpf
07-24-2010, 9:02 PM
Absolutely stunning! I can see why it is one of your favorites! Love it!

David DeCristoforo
07-24-2010, 9:04 PM
That is wild! What ever gave you the idea for this? It's totally "out of the box"... How did you do this? Is it cast? More info please!

David E Keller
07-24-2010, 9:13 PM
Fantastic! I've never seen anything of this size turned from homebrew acrylics. I've seen pen blanks like this, but this is another level.

I'm also very interested in how you managed to pull this off. Fantastic!(I had to type it twice!)

Harvey Ghesser
07-24-2010, 9:24 PM
Really, really beautiful! Great work, Alan! Very impressive!

Roland Martin
07-24-2010, 9:52 PM
That is wild! What ever gave you the idea for this? It's totally "out of the box"... How did you do this? Is it cast? More info please!

"Out of the box" is right. I can certainly see how the hours would add up with this piece:eek: Great imagination and amazing work.

John Hart
07-24-2010, 10:06 PM
Holy Frioles!!! Acorn Caps?!

Alan...you are my hero. :)

David Christopher
07-24-2010, 10:08 PM
Very Nice !!!!!!

Roger Chandler
07-24-2010, 10:10 PM
Definitely out of the box! What a creative idea....a stunning execution of something that would not cross many minds....way cool! :cool:

John Keeton
07-24-2010, 10:14 PM
Alan, this is what art is all about!!! Creativity taken to a new level! David already used my word - twice! But, I will say it again - FANTASTIC!!

charlie knighton
07-24-2010, 10:16 PM
very nice....

Baxter Smith
07-24-2010, 10:30 PM
Stunning, fantastic. Stunningly fantastic!

Randy Gazda
07-24-2010, 10:38 PM
That is amazing and makes me realize I need to think outside the box more!!!

Mark Hubl
07-24-2010, 10:40 PM
An extraordinary piece for sure. The shape and curves are very nice. The colors are wonderful really a great piece.

Donny Lawson
07-24-2010, 10:47 PM
That is one outstanding piece of art.
Donny

Alan Trout
07-24-2010, 10:47 PM
Thanks everyone.

I really appreciate the kind comments. Yes this is a cast piece. I have been a fairly decent volume pen blank caster for some time, maybe a couple of years. I sell some and keep some. But what really got me interested in casting was this application. When I started casting this was my ultimate goal. I had not seen anyone do vessels and bowls and figured this might be my "artistic" niche that I was looking for.

It took me a while to figure out how I wanted to cast the piece. It is not for the faint of heart because you can mess up a bunch of expensive resin very quickly. There was some failures/mistakes involved but was able to save the piece. It is time consuming because every acorn cap in the piece was intentionally placed one by one but yet I wanted it to be random as possible.This was done in multiple castings. There were about 12 or so before turning started. I think I have it pretty well figured out and will do more. This is my busy business time of year so work comes first but I am going to try to get another done before SWAT but not sure if I will have the time.

Thanks,

Alan

Michael James
07-24-2010, 10:57 PM
I have no idea what you did there but it is 1 of a kind for sure. Nice job!

Bernie Weishapl
07-24-2010, 11:36 PM
Beautiful Alan. Really well done.

Tom Sherman
07-25-2010, 12:01 AM
Spectacular doesn't begin to describe this one. Outside the box I recon. Great work all around.

Allen Neighbors
07-25-2010, 12:53 AM
Fourth time -- Fantastic!! What kind of gears do you have "turning" in your mind?
For those of you that don't know, a few years back, secretly, it was Alan that invented metal staples and paper clips and gunpowder and ... :D

Edward Bartimmo
07-25-2010, 1:03 AM
Alen,

I am out of GCWA (Houston) and will be attending SWAT. Are you planning to complete another and enter as exhibit at SWAt or do you have a booth? I would love to see the piece up close.

Thanks,
Edward

Curt Fuller
07-25-2010, 1:18 AM
That's one of the most interesting turnings I've seen. I really like it.

Billy Tallant
07-25-2010, 1:19 AM
That is one fantastic piece of work. Words cannot do it justice. Simply amazing!!!

Alan Trout
07-25-2010, 1:21 AM
I was going to borrow it from my mother for the instant gallery at SWAT along with a couple of other pieces. If I can do another I will, It really depends on how busy my business is over the next month.

Alan

Dennis Ford
07-25-2010, 7:27 AM
WOW!
I don't know what else to say.

Josh Bowman
07-25-2010, 7:53 AM
Absolutely stunning!

Matt Hutchinson
07-25-2010, 8:30 AM
Very cool! Not only a unique and original idea, but it was executed wonderfully. I really REALLY like it!!! Keep up the awesome work Alan!!

HUtch

Tom Sherman
07-25-2010, 9:10 AM
Alan I just have to say I keep coming back and looking at this one, and the more I do, the more I like it. Something this special belongs to someone special nothing better than that. Momma knows dude momma knows

Jim Underwood
07-25-2010, 9:29 AM
This piece may be made of resin and acorn caps, but it has the feel of the ocean about it...

Lovely piece.

Hope we see more of these as you work the bugs out of the process!

Mike Spanbauer
07-25-2010, 10:39 AM
Wow - that's awesome!

How thick are the walls? Did you cast them to near final thickness and then hollow or? Details man, now you just have to share :) Impressive!

mike

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
07-25-2010, 11:03 AM
Wow. That is some excellent craftsmanship and a beautiful result. Echoing other sentiments, that is really thinking out of the box! Wish I was a 1/4 as creative!

Richard Madden
07-25-2010, 2:57 PM
I just got on here, but I have got to add my $0.02 worth. That is beautiful work, and I'd like to know more about the how-to.

Alan Trout
07-26-2010, 9:51 AM
I want to thank everyone for their comments. I really appreciate the positive comments.

The piece is cast in a polyurethane resin. There are some properties of this kind of resin that I personally prefer. One is that it is a very forgiving resin when machined and machines more like wood. It is very possible if you had a catch with a polyester resin piece it might never make it off of the lathe. It may be in a thousand little pieces. Also polyurethane resin has relativity low odor compared to polyester resin which is a bigger deal if you house and shop are attached.

The piece was done in about 15 cast of about 1 inch at a time. The thickness of the casting was also about 1 inch. The outside form was poster board and masking tape. Nothing very high tech but quite a bit more complex than it sounds. Of course this is all cast in a pressure vessel.

Thanks,

Alan

James Roberts
07-27-2010, 11:16 PM
Forget that other "WOW" post. This is "WOW". Surely an explanation or a tutorial must follow.