PDA

View Full Version : Aloha

George Guadiane
07-24-2010, 6:41 PM
ALOHA!
A word with many meanings, all of them applicable here.
I am currently in Hawaii on a "working" vacation. We will be vendors at the Hawaii All Collector's Show next weekend, but I GOT here in time for the Honolulu Woodturners meeting, where I picked up a nice piece of free wood from Dougie Bowen. I also have some local friends here. One of them had some Koa log shorts that I could manage to get into my van.

With no chainsaw and not knowing where or if I could rent one, as a non-local, I called Any Cole for suggestions... He immediately offered to have me come over there so that I could use his saw and bandsaw to get my finds "flat rate box ready."
When I arrived, he started out by handing me a NICE box ready piece of Formosan (acacia) Koa. We went right to work as he had a lunch date with his beautiful wife and I was keeping him from that.
We cut four nice pieces out of some (what turned out to be) sketchy logs with punky spots in places. I also got one yellowish softish crotch piece of "dunno wood" that smells like pumpkin.
He didn't chase me out, but he wouldn't even let me stay to clean up.
I am humbled by the Aloha spirit that I find here... If you can imagine, it is even stronger than the general friendly/helpfulness that we find in the general turning community (if that is even possible).

I got a picture of the wood before it was wrapped and put in boxes.
Aloha Andy,
Mahalo!

Ken Fitzgerald
07-24-2010, 6:43 PM
Congrats George!

Brad Vaughn
07-24-2010, 6:52 PM
Oh Koa log shorts hmmmm I am shaking in envy I have done some flutes and pens in this wood and you just cant beat this wood. The 3D WET look is so nice
I have never done it in a bowl yet. Hope to see a photo of one.

Bill Wilcox
07-24-2010, 6:58 PM
WOW George Koa wood would be cool to turn. Keep us posted on how it turns out. Is the wood green??

Steve Schlumpf
07-24-2010, 7:02 PM
George - clad to see you are enjoying the Islands to the fullest! Congrats on all the wood!

Best of luck with your upcoming show!

David E Keller
07-24-2010, 7:41 PM
Sounds like a great trip already. Koa is a great wood for turning... It's kind of like super walnut in my opinion, and the curly stuff is to die for.

David Walser
07-24-2010, 7:47 PM
Congratulations, George.

You can simply push my share of the haul out the plane window on your flight home. Then get the pilot to veer a north so you can do the same for Curt and Ken.

I'm just trying to save you postage.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-24-2010, 7:55 PM
Congratulations, George.

You can simply push my share of the haul out the plane window on your flight home. Then get the pilot to veer a north so you can do the same for Curt and Ken.

I am betting he's gonna save a lot in postage!:D

George Guadiane
07-24-2010, 8:06 PM
Congratulations, George.

Well, none of you need fear, if your entire "share" hit you squarely on the heads, you wouldn't feel a thing.:D I said that The locals HERE have Aloha, I didn't say anything about me.
I have turned Koa and love it, that's why I went after this stuff.
I have known of these logs for at least 5 years, My friend Dean a wood carving ARTIST just kept thinking he'd get to them. He finally figured that they had gone by and let me have them.

David DeCristoforo
07-24-2010, 8:32 PM
...drool...

George Guadiane
07-24-2010, 8:38 PM
...drool...
David,
A couple of the pieces have a little curl, but only a little. The yellow crotch piece is not nearly as hard and may not produce anything spectacular...

No I'm not complaining, but the wood could be a lot better before you really NEEDED to drool. If this was Maple from my neighborhood, I would have left it. (but it's KOA!:D)

brian watts
07-24-2010, 10:06 PM
WOW .. i SEE alot of calls in there.. very nice haul..

Bernie Weishapl
07-24-2010, 11:42 PM
Congrats George. That is some nice looking wood.

Peter Hay in Aus
07-25-2010, 9:53 AM
George,
One of my daughters went to BYU Hawaii Campus 30 odd years ago, married a fellow student Hawaiin and we loved our visits there and mainland USA I can understand how it is to find friends and timber there great pleasures. This daughter is now visiting with us remarried some 20 yrs ago now lives in Logan Utah.

Thanks for sharing.