PDA

View Full Version : Some more rolling pins

Christopher Pine
12-06-2004, 7:11 PM
This is a project I did for a customer for Christmas gifts.. I traded the labor for some turning blanks... The figured blanks shown here are like normal are a pain to turn more so than the strait grained ones. But much more pretty.
Used mineral oil for a food safe finish.
Of course maple, cherry and one Walnut rolling pin.
What do you all think?

Chris

Jim Becker
12-06-2004, 7:16 PM
I think they look outstanding, especially the figured species...nice to use and nice to display. Great job!

Ted Shrader
12-06-2004, 7:33 PM
Chris -

Very nice wood selection. Handles go on the same way as previous post?

Regards,
Ted

John Miliunas
12-06-2004, 7:55 PM
Fine looking pieces, Chris and yes, the figured woods look awesome! :) Yup, LOML would simple love any one of those weapon....errrrrrr....I mean, rolling pins! :D (Note to self: NEVER make wife rolling pin! :eek: ) :cool:

Bruce Shiverdecker
12-06-2004, 8:03 PM
Great work Chris and I'm with you John................. I DON'T have a DEATH WISH!

Bruce

Christopher Pine
12-06-2004, 8:06 PM
Chris -

Very nice wood selection. Handles go on the same way as previous post?

Regards,
Ted

Yes same way. You can see here from this picture of some handles that I messed up.... The pin runs through the center of the handles and the handle rotates freeley around the pin.. IF you see what I mean..There is an end cap on the end of the center dowel and the other end is glued into the rolling pin itself.. I have used dowels for this part but also you can turn the end cap and the interior dowel part out of one piece.. works well either way.
Chris

Brad Schmid
12-07-2004, 10:25 AM
Very nice Chris! The figured woods really make it happen!
Cheers
Brad

Earl Reid
12-07-2004, 11:45 AM
Very nice work Chris, I collect old rolling pin.
Earl :) :)

Glenn Hodges
12-07-2004, 6:26 PM
I think you do a fine job on rolling pins. They look great!

Ted Okolichany
12-08-2004, 1:14 PM
Hi Chris,

I too have to make a rolling pin for my wife's boss as a christmas gift.

I was hoping you can tell me what size dowels you use and some other measurements?

I think that the roller is 3 inches around?

Then you insert the dowel in each end of that. Turn the handles, then put them on, and glue a end cap on to hold the handles from slipping off?

How far to you drill the dowels into the roller?

Thanks for your help..

Ted

Christopher Pine
12-09-2004, 11:32 PM
Hi Chris,

I too have to make a rolling pin for my wife's boss as a christmas gift.

I was hoping you can tell me what size dowels you use and some other measurements?

I think that the roller is 3 inches around?

Then you insert the dowel in each end of that. Turn the handles, then put them on, and glue a end cap on to hold the handles from slipping off?

How far to you drill the dowels into the roller?

Thanks for your help..

Ted
I am glad to share with you although the measurements are preferance to a large extent. The store bought rolling pin my wife had was only 1.75 inches in diameter.. I use a 3 inch blank and the ideas was to make it 2.75 cylinder. when done however I just turned the blank until it was round and then got a good finish cut, sanded and called it good so some of them are little more than 2.75...
The process to turn the large cylinder is fairly easy and could be done in various ways but it is fairly important to turn it centered around your holes.... how I did it was drill the 1/2 inch holes into the blank before turning.
these 1/2 inch holes are approximately 2 inches deep. Then with the use of "turning centers" (A block with dowel extending out of center) I turned the blank with drive spur center and live center.

Best of Luck and be sure to get picture before you give it away!
Merry Christmas!

Chris