PDA

View Full Version : Secondary wood with Mesquite

Shawn Stennett
07-24-2010, 1:46 PM
I am being to break down a lot of the Mesquite that I got the other week and want to start to plan a project. My only question is what should or could I use as a secondary wood. What would yall use? I want to use some of it for a sofa table and some for a dresser probaly to start.

Dennis Ford
07-25-2010, 7:50 AM
I think that soft maple would be a good choice. Poplar is a common choice for secondary wood and is inexpensive. Most woods could be used but I would choose one that:
* Contrasts with the mesquite
* Has a mild grain pattern (not oak)
* Is inexpensive

Shawn Stennett
07-25-2010, 9:57 AM
Where can I get inexpensive soft maple around central Texas? I thought about maple but also thought about pecan would be cool.

Mike Hollingsworth
07-25-2010, 10:11 AM
Pecan (hickory) would be very cool.

Richard M. Wolfe
07-25-2010, 11:35 AM
Many lumber yards carry soft maple or birch (usually sold as the same thing) for cabinetmakers as it has a muted grain and can be stained to match fairly well. The last time I priced it, which has been some time back, it was about $3 a foot and unless you are going to make a real big project shouldn't break the bank.

If you use pecan choose some that is from a smaller tree. That is, get lighter stuff. If you can find a lumberyard that stocks pecan/hickory (once again no differentiation) you can get it about two or three bucks a foot.

Should you come across some and want a native wood hackberry is a light colored wood that should contrast well with mesquite. The guy I work with built a chest using mesquite and sycamore, once again a native and light colored, that looked good.

Cody Colston
07-25-2010, 1:54 PM
Shawn,

If I were you, I'd check out M&G Sawmill at Huntsville (actually about 9 miles west of Huntsville).

Michael carries Pecan/Hickory, White Ash and White Oak, all of which would go well with Mesquite. He also has some of the finest Mesquite lumber that can be found in Texas. In addition, he frequently has soft Maple and River Birch on hand. The River Birch, especially, would be a good choice.

It's less than 1.5 hours from Buffalo. Check them out.
http://www.mgsawmill.com/product.htm