PDA

View Full Version : Turning Pipestone

robert raess
07-24-2010, 12:55 PM
I've carved pipestone, has anyone had experience turning it or for that matter any of the 'soft' stones [soapstone,alabaster etc.] thanks rob

Steve Schlumpf
07-24-2010, 1:21 PM
Robert - no personal experience turning stone but a number of folks here have. Click on 'search' in the upper right hand corner and type in Soapstone - you'll find a lot of info!

Jerry Marcantel
07-24-2010, 1:21 PM
I haven't turned any, but I have cut some on my bandsaw without any ill effects to my blade..... I've also drilled some with a regular twist drill, and could still drill metal with it later...... Let me know how you do with it, and I just might try it musef....... Jerry (in Tucson)

Tom Lewis
07-24-2010, 1:32 PM
I have turned alabaster. The only problem I had was the incredible amount of dust. I won't turn it again untill I have a lathe outside.
I made lathe tools out of files so it wouldn't dull my regular tools. I know some say not to use files for lathe tools, but I have used files with no problems.
You can cut alabaster with a wood hand saw but it will dull the saw. You can use regular lathe tools, but it will dull them also. The carbide inserts that are now popular should work good.
I'll try to post a picture.

Tom Lewis
07-24-2010, 1:37 PM
This is a alabaster turning I made some years ago. It is 5" tall.

David E Keller
07-24-2010, 7:57 PM
I've turned a few pens from alabaster without too much trouble. As previously mentioned, it's really dusty. I'd like to try soapstone at some point as the colors are more to my liking than the alabaster I've used.

Paul Douglass
07-24-2010, 8:31 PM
I have only experienced turning soap stone recently. I enjoy turning it and love the look:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=144845

It creates a talc like powder as you turn it. Very soft. Now I have to start looking for some pipestone. Look very interesting.

Paul Williams
07-24-2010, 9:39 PM
I have turned some small pieces of pipestone including several pens. For pens it is likely to crack if you try for too thin or if anything you do heats it up. Even those that cracked stayed attached to the brass tube and didn't look too bad. I don't know if I have any photos or not. I'll check when I get home next week. I used carbide scrapers for most cuts.

Louis Reynolds
07-25-2010, 12:11 AM
Cool stuff...I really hope you guys are wearing dust masks. I got to see a carving demo and the guy was working w/ alabaster...he said never work stone w/o a mask...guess it hold true for wood as well...silicosis is pretty nasty from what I hear.