PDA

View Full Version : Confusion over Iwata specs

Darius Ferlas
07-24-2010, 12:48 PM
I am considering Iwata LPH80 (http://www.iwata-medea.com/index.php/products/lph_80/) which seems to require a pretty minuscule compressor. The reputation of the product and the reputation of the company are solid but, once I started digging in, I became confused about the gun's specs.

The main product's description page states:

- Spray pattern is from 1/8” to 6” (0.3 cm to 15.24 cm)

which I'd say is fantastic for most woodworking projects.
But then, another page (http://www.anestiwata.com/products/manual-hvlp-mini-gravity.cfm?series=LPH80) the manufacturer posted a table listing various nozzle options (from 0.4mm to 1.2mm) and each options has a different pattern width, from 1.6" for a 0.4mm tip to 5.5 inch for a 1.2 mm tip.

Does that mean that in order to have various pattern widths available to me I'd have to buy a few of those guns? Or would I be able to have a degree of control over the pattern width by using just one of the gun models that I would consider the most universal for my needs?

I am obviously pretty green in the general subject of the spray guns, so any help would be appreciated.

Steve Schoene
07-24-2010, 9:26 PM
Most cases it is the nozzles and needles that can be changed, so that one gun can handle a variety of materials. Lot's cheaper to haver multiple nozzle sets than to have multiple guns.

Dee Gallo
07-25-2010, 10:06 AM
It looks like you can attach any of five nozzles to this gun. It is not really clear whether they all come with it, but if you must choose, figure out what you will use it for most.

The smallest nozzle (#1) gives you pencil thin detail which you probably don't need. This is for experienced illustrators and pinstripers.

The largest nozzle (#5) gives you large area (mural/car) coverage, but be careful, it throws a lot of paint fast so you really need to practice so you don't get caterpillars and runs.You can actually shut it down to get detail also if you practice.

All nozzles will give you a good range of coverage. If you are going to be spraying heavy liquids, get the bigger nozzle, it's easier to handle and clean. It will also give you a larger circle so you'll keep a wet edge more easily on large areas.

A medium sized nozzle will probably be your best bet, since you can use it for practically every application. Once you get used to it, you will be better off than trying to learn how to control several different nozzles.

I have a couple of Iwatas and they are excellent airbrushes.

cheers, dee

Scott Holmes
07-25-2010, 10:57 AM
An air-brush or detail gun would not be my choice as my only finishing gun. It will be great for small projects; on larger ones it will be more of a pain than an asset.