PDA

View Full Version : Urn with threaded lid

Richard Madden
07-24-2010, 12:25 PM
This one has wood threads, not plastic. Maple and walnut, two coats of AO, not yet buffed. Holds 163 cu. in. Comments and/or criticism welcomed.

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh17/RickM1_album/004-2.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh17/RickM1_album/005-3.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh17/RickM1_album/006-3.jpg

Gary Max
07-24-2010, 12:37 PM
Do you cut the treads by hand or is there a tap & die that you use?????
Nice work.

John Keeton
07-24-2010, 12:48 PM
Very nice work, Richard, and the finish is really going to look nice when buffed.

I, too, am interested in the threading process, and the tools used.

Tom Sherman
07-24-2010, 1:00 PM
Very nice Richard, nice choice of woods your work is great. Threads are crisp and clean great job.

Baxter Smith
07-24-2010, 1:18 PM
Very nice. Another one interested in the process!:)

Richard Madden
07-24-2010, 1:24 PM
Thanks, Gary and John. For threading woods softer than Blackwood or Boxwood I have used a jig pictured below. Dick Mahaney, here at SMC originally posted his jig, I just copied it. Right now, mine will only thread at 14tpi., but that could be changed. I think Dick could do 8 or 14tpi. While I like threading with chasers, this thing lets me use woods more readily available and cheaper.

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh17/RickM1_album/007.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh17/RickM1_album/005.jpg

It's based on a cross-sliding, or X-Y vise. I got mine from Harbor Freight. The vise holds some spacers to bring things up to centerline, and welded to the spacers are nuts holding a 7/8"x14 rod with the chucked piece attached via an adapter. The cutter is a 3/4" 60 degree from Enco. Does a nice job on woods too soft for chasers.

Steve Schlumpf
07-24-2010, 5:04 PM
Very nice work Richard! Amazed at how clean you got the threads!

dan carter
07-24-2010, 5:15 PM
Good job, looks good. Your threads came out very good.

Allen Neighbors
07-24-2010, 6:50 PM
Excellent! I'm green, over seeing that threading machine!! :D

David Walser
07-24-2010, 7:42 PM
Richard,

Thanks for posting a picture of your threading jig. I keep intending to make or buy one, but I think I'll wait until I retire so I can spend more than a couple hours a month in the shop.

One question, if someone were to put ashes into the urn, would you seal the top with a rubber washer? You could just glue the top on, but what would be the point of the threads?

David E Keller
07-24-2010, 7:48 PM
Great job on the threading... It's on my list of things to try, but I doubt I'll ever have the energy to make as nice a contraption for doing it.

I must admit that the shape seems a bit impractical for use with its narrow foot, but I know nothing about urn style and form.

David DeCristoforo
07-24-2010, 8:33 PM
Want one...

John Keeton
07-24-2010, 10:30 PM
Want one...Yep, me too!!!;) Thanks, Richard for posting.

Baxter Smith
07-24-2010, 10:37 PM
That is a cool looking tool!

Bernie Weishapl
07-24-2010, 11:40 PM
Really nice Urn Richard. I like the tool.

Tom Sherman
07-24-2010, 11:43 PM
Richard Im assuming that the cutter is being powered by the lathe. Correct?

Paul Douglass
07-25-2010, 9:49 AM
Definitely a urn to die for, sorry, couldn't resist. Very nice. Even with the pictures I don't understand how it works. How do you advance the wood piece just at the right speed to make the threads so precise? Seems like I saw one made from wood some where. I've got to go look again in my "projects" folder of things to make - someday.

Richard Madden
07-25-2010, 3:24 PM
Richard Im assuming that the cutter is being powered by the lathe. Correct?

Yes, the cutter is in a jacobs chuck in the headstock along with a drawbolt for safety. The speed is around 1600 rpm.

Richard Madden
07-25-2010, 3:48 PM
Richard,

Thanks for posting a picture of your threading jig. I keep intending to make or buy one, but I think I'll wait until I retire so I can spend more than a couple hours a month in the shop.

One question, if someone were to put ashes into the urn, would you seal the top with a rubber washer? You could just glue the top on, but what would be the point of the threads?

David,
Good question on what would be the point of the threads. The threads add to the difficulty of a piece, which may or may not appeal to a prospective customer who appreciates craftsmanship. Also, the lid is removable, yet secure. Some people want some or all of their ashes spread at a favorite place. Of course, it could glued if desired.

David DeCristoforo
07-25-2010, 3:58 PM
"...what would be the point of the threads..."

I might be able to help with this one. My mother and father had decided that they wanted their ashes commingled and scattered together. Many people request this but then complicate the whole thing by not dying simultaneously. There are those who might regard this as somewhat inconsiderate but, nevertheless, it creates a need to keep the ashes of the first of the deceased on hand until such time as the second expires. So you can see how nice it would be to be able to easily open the urn at that time...

Richard Madden
07-25-2010, 11:10 PM
Definitely a urn to die for, sorry, couldn't resist. Very nice. Even with the pictures I don't understand how it works. How do you advance the wood piece just at the right speed to make the threads so precise? Seems like I saw one made from wood some where. I've got to go look again in my "projects" folder of things to make - someday.

Paul,
That long threaded rod (7/8x14tpi) with a chucked piece on the left and a handle on the right is what governs the thread you wind up with (14tpi in this case). Turning the handle on the right advances the piece into the cutter. You can turn the handle fast or slow, the piece is still advancing at a 14tpi rate, although advancing slow will probably yield a cleaner cut.