PDA

View Full Version : Finish Trim Work - 10” vs. 12” and CMS vs. SCMS

Joe Edwards 44
07-24-2010, 12:01 PM
I am looking for advice before purchasing a new miter saw. I plan on dedicating this saw to finish/trim work only (4-1/4” crown, 3-1/2”casing, 5-1/4” base). I’m working on replacing builder’s grade white trim with new oak trim throughout. I’m also making lots of picture frames. This is a big project for me. I currently have a DW705 (12” CMS) – but it’s showing its age. I plan on using it for general carpentry moving forward.
General comments:
- Not looking for an all-in-one saw – I really do intend to dedicate to finish/trim work only.
- Main criteria is accuracy! I’m getting pretty good and I’m going slow enough that I’m insisting on picture frame corners everywhere. This is my own home.
- I’ve always assumed a CMS would be more accurate than a slider. Based on some reading, it sounds like I might have it backwards. I can use some direction here.
- It sounds like I’m going to get better accuracy out of a 10”. I think the 10” will handle the 4-1/4” crown fine – but I’m going to have to lay the 5-1/4” base flat. That’s not an issue for me – the first question is… are 10” saws inherently more accurate?
- Budget is in the $700 range – seems like I’m in good shape except for Festool – out of my league.
- I will definitely be adding a stand with wheels. I have the DW705 on the DeWalt heavy-duty stand. Love it – but just too big to move around.
- At this point – I’m more interested in figuring out the 10 vs 12 and SCMS vs CMS than I am in picking a specific saw. However, if you wanted to add your personal suggestion – I’m all ears!
- Laser is not a necessity and probably won’t get used - unless it’s dead accurate.
- Also - if you have an opinion on best blade setup for accurate work – again I’m all ears!
Thanks everyone!

Prashun Patel
07-24-2010, 1:04 PM
I don't have either, but the Bosch and the Makita 10" sliders go neck-neck for top honors.

However, since you are planning on dedicating this to trim work, an SCMS is (IMHO) overkill. I'd get a small one - perhaps even an 8" one. This will handle trim and be very mobile so you can cut in the room you're trimming...

The only caveat is that most 10"-ers are not tall enough to cut the highest crown "upside-down-and-backwards" which allows you to just use the miter; you'd need to cut it flat and use the bevel as well.

bill mullin
07-24-2010, 6:07 PM
Hi Joe.
I am a trim carpenter, and have been using a Hitachi 10" scms for many years now. I wouldn't go back to a non-slider for any reason. I've not found any trim situations my 10" won't handle.
Otoh, the guys I am working with right now have a DeWalt 12" scms, and it works just fine.
Quite honestly, like many other things, I think the operator is more important than the tool. All of these machines do the same things, they just do them a bit differently. Taking time to set up properly is the best way to guarantee accuracy, Imo.
Personally, I've used the Hitachi 10", DeWalt 10 and 12 inch, Bosch 12". I like my Hitachi mainly for one reason. It is light and easy to move around, and gets the job done.

Will Overton
07-24-2010, 6:16 PM
I have a 12" Bosch scms. It's a great saw, but it turned out the 12" isn't really necessary. If doing it again I'd get a 10" Bosch scms.

Bryan Wellman
07-24-2010, 6:34 PM
I have a Makita LS1013FL 10" Dual Slide Compound Miter Saw and mounted it to Ridgid's AC 9941 Miter-Saw Stand. There are much better stands out there, but I love the fold-up system for storing it against a wall (with the saw still attatched) and folded up it rolls to wherever I need it thanks to good large wheels. Plus with two quick flips of the front latches, you can take it off and leave it on the mounting brackets for transport into the house or wherever.

As for the saw, I haven't had a single complaint. I have done crown, made window frames, and pretty much everything else associated with a 120 yo house. It has impressed at all levels.

Neal Clayton
07-24-2010, 6:41 PM
i use the bosch 10". takes a bit of getting used to the location of all of the stops and catches, they're in odd places, but other than that it has worked well for about 3 years now.

Jim Andrew
07-24-2010, 11:36 PM
I also have an old Dewalt 12" cms, and when I wanted a new saw got the Makita slider 10". The crosscut width is the same as the 12" and blades are less expensive. I like being able to crosscut shelves etc that are 12" wide. The makita is amazingly accurate and solid. And the blade that came on it is great. I just clean it and save it for fine cuts.
For some reason seems Makita puts a top quality blade on new tools. Buy a replacement and it just seems like a cheap blade.