PDA

View Full Version : Cedar Vase

Tom Lewis
07-24-2010, 11:07 AM
Cedar vase 12" tall no finish except the Beal Buffing system. I like to finish cedar this way because it still has the cedar smell.
I'm not sure about the design. I think maybe I should have made the top smaller and thinner. Comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

Fred Perreault
07-24-2010, 11:21 AM
Tom, you may have said it correctly. It is cute, but maybe something different from the neck up would be better balanced. Nice wood, as I like cedar a lot myself. :)

David E Keller
07-24-2010, 11:46 AM
I agree with your self-critique. I personally prefer more subtle details and transitions on vase forms as well. Hard to tell in a photo, but it seems as though you might have enough wood left to chuck it up and alter it if you'd like... Plus, you'd get to enjoy more of that wonderful smell.:)

Steve Schlumpf
07-24-2010, 11:57 AM
Really like the wood! Lots of color!

Designs are always a challenge and seem to always evolve. If you are not happy with this one - figure out what you would do to improve it and either re-turn it or keep the design changes in mind for the next one!

Have fun!

Dennis Ford
07-24-2010, 7:58 PM
Your workmanship is excellent, I agree with you on the design changes for the next of this series. You might also consider wasting away additional sapwood letting more of the heartwood show.

Bernie Weishapl
07-24-2010, 11:51 PM
Tom that is a good looking piece. I like to just buff cedar because it retains the smell. I think I would have curved the neck from the bottom to the top instead of leaving it square.