PDA

View Full Version : Ganged table saw/shaper?

Tom Rick
07-24-2010, 8:05 AM
Someone had posted a pic of a Unisaw & a HD Delta shaper ganged together with a common fence rail. Shaper to the right of saw...
Anyone have these two set this way in the shop or seen this photo?

Like this saw/router table set up but with the HD shaper:

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base_images/bah/expanding_table_saw_capacity_01.jpg

Jeff Duncan
07-24-2010, 12:24 PM
I haven't seen it, though it wouldn't surprise me if someone's done it....but that doesn't mean it's necessarily a good idea. It really depends on your space requirements and the type of work you find yourself doing most often. Shapers are versatile machines and having a ts fence may not be all that hot.
For one thing you want a fence that locks down solid front and back. It's also nice to have a fence where the 2 faces are individually adjustable. And often with a shaper the fence is on top of the cutter, which wouldn't be practical with a ts fence. These are just the first few thoughts that jump into my head. Although routers and shapers are tossed into the same conversations quite often, they really are quite a bit different in their capabilities. Though again it does come down to what you want to do with it which will determine if it makes sense to try that kind of setup. From my perspective it's probably not a great idea:(
good luck,
JeffD

J.R. Rutter
07-24-2010, 1:44 PM
I've done it with 2 table saws. I would think that having the shaper spindle in the way would be a pain unless it was mounted out past the max rip width that you need. But this is sort of an awkward way to use a shaper, imho. I know that I wouldn't reach past a spinning shaper cutter the same way I might with a tiny router bit.