PDA

View Full Version : Vortex Getting Stronger

Billy Tallant
07-24-2010, 12:19 AM
It is hard to think back to that first pen demo I saw at a Lowes store. Did not realize what would happen when I just stopped for a few minutes to see a demo of a shopsmith lathe making wood pens.

Now I'm really feeling the vortex getting stronger. I started with my first purchase of a Jet 1014 along with a Delta Dust collector. I thought that would be all I would need to get my shop setup for turning pens. My brother thought I could use another lathe so he picked up a Central Machinery 14 x 40 for me. That lathe was going to be used as a buffing station.

Two weeks ago I went to my 1st wood turning club meeting ever. That was a mistake. One of the members mentioned that he had a lathe for sale. Today I just brought home my third lathe. Picked up a Jet 1442 VS lathe from that club member. I'm afraid going to another meeting may cost me more. :)
http://www.btboers.com/wood/1442.jpg

William Hutchinson
07-24-2010, 6:29 AM
The Vortex is the mystifying force that alters one’s reasoning to view a mere desire as an absolute need. It makes perfect logic to have three lathes and to share your acquisitions with others of the vortex persuasion. Good show!

Just don’t share this information with the Non-tex people; they won’t understand, will treat you with suspicion and attempt to exorcise this demon.:eek:

John Keeton
07-24-2010, 8:03 AM
Nice setup, Billy!! Congrats! A little tender love and care, and that thing will clean up like new. Just think, now you can have two projects in progress, and buffing a third - all at the same time!!:D

Tom Sherman
07-24-2010, 8:46 AM
Billy, at one time my wife and I had four, first was a jet 1014 still have it wife likes it and threatens divorce if something happens to it. Second was one of those little blue rascals from Penn State, came to live with us expressly to turn pens. Third was a Rikon Midi, a small upgrade from the other two with hopes of being able to do boxes and small bowls. It lived up to its expectations. I had a friend at the time that traveled some and could not live without the Rikon, he wanted something he could haul around to occupy his time while away from home. Soo when another friend told my wife he would like to sell his Jet 1442 I was forced to make a choice and the Rikon was adopted. I now still have the other three and have no plans to reduce the fleet. I guess the point of this ramble is letting go of your lathes is like letting go of your kids, very hard to do. I can always make another space for one more...may have to add on to the garage but you know what I mean..

John Hart
07-24-2010, 9:10 AM
I like it dirty. It gives it that "already been down to the bottom of the abyss" feel to it. 'sides...it's cleaner than mine.:o

Bernie Weishapl
07-24-2010, 9:57 AM
I am with Tom. I started with a Delta midi which I gave to my nephew to get him started. Then picked up the Rikon midi, the Nova DVR and found a Jet 1220 that I couldn't resist at half price. Congrats on your lathe Billy.

Bill Bolen
07-24-2010, 11:12 AM
Congrats Billy! She looks well loved and I'm sure she will enjoy her new home. I upgraded to a 1442 several years ago from a jet mini and thought I was done. No....I wasn't done. Upgraded again to a Nova DVR and had every intention of selling the 1442. Didn't happen! I have and use both and find myself frequently on the old tank the 1442. Just do a bit of monthly maint. on the reeves drive and it will last as long as you do. Pull the belt cover and blow out the dust, lubricate the sheeve shafts and speed control shaft and it will run like new. Have fun with it...Bill...

David E Keller
07-24-2010, 11:55 AM
Congrats on the 'new' lathe!

She sure is a dirty girl... I'd be forced to spend some valuable shop time giving her a makeover.:D

Steve Schlumpf
07-24-2010, 12:02 PM
Billy - congrats on your new lathe! Have fun!

Baxter Smith
07-24-2010, 1:24 PM
Looks like it will be a nice lathe. Don't have to worry about messing it up! Just take care of the inside and use it.:)

Allen Neighbors
07-24-2010, 7:13 PM
Amen! to Baxter's post... and John's... dirty makes 'em look loved... :D
Congratulations on the new lathe... use it a lot, or it'll get depressed.