PDA

View Full Version : Giant Turning

Joe Pelonio
07-23-2010, 11:32 PM
I'm not a turner, at least not yet, but enjoy seeing your work and learning about it. We were at the Bellevue (WA) Art Fair and this guy from GA had some amazing work, vases 3' tall and over a foot wide, but this piece on the wall was a good 5' diameter. He had others that big there too. Is there a lathe big enough for that kind of work or must it have been custom made?

David E Keller
07-23-2010, 11:36 PM
Nice looking turnings. That looks like it was a huge piece of buckeye burl that was used to make that wall hanging.

I suppose you could turn something like that outboard on most large lathes with a floorstand tool rest, but I don't have the cajones or the wood to give it a try.

Steve Schlumpf
07-23-2010, 11:41 PM
I think David nailed it - outboard turning. Looks like you got to see some high quality turnings! Thanks for sharing!

Curt Fuller
07-24-2010, 12:30 AM
http://www.owwm.com/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=3517

Clead Christiansen has a lathe similar to this in his shop, The Turning Post. He has several turnings similar in size to the one pictured.

Leo Van Der Loo
07-24-2010, 1:44 AM
I'm not a turner, at least not yet, but enjoy seeing your work and learning about it. We were at the Bellevue (WA) Art Fair and this guy from GA had some amazing work, vases 3' tall and over a foot wide, but this piece on the wall was a good 5' diameter. He had others that big there too. Is there a lathe big enough for that kind of work or must it have been custom made?

Joe for real big pieces over 3 feet in diameter you pretty well need a custom build lathe, yes some larger lathes can turn out board but to be able to handle large vases and extra large platters you need to be able to go very slow and still have all the power available to do the cutting, plus the mass of a lot steel, cast or concrete.

Here's a link to a turner in I think Washington state that makes/made very large pieces, have a look if interested.

http://www.vkleibrant.com/process.html
:cool: :D

John Keeton
07-24-2010, 8:06 AM
Joe, thanks for posting that pic!! Lots of interesting pieces there, including the large platter. One could do a smaller version of that platter given the right piece of wood....hmmmmmm.....!

John Hart
07-24-2010, 9:07 AM
Now THATS what I wanna do. Hmmm...better get started on that lathe.:o

Bernie Weishapl
07-24-2010, 9:59 AM
Thanks for sharing Joe. That is one big platter.

Fred Perreault
07-24-2010, 11:26 AM
Now John..... Keeton's Korner is not known for such, such, pedestrian products. I'll bet you could do something like that while eating an egg salad sandwich. :)

Wally Dickerman
07-24-2010, 11:53 AM
Joe for real big pieces over 3 feet in diameter you pretty well need a custom build lathe, yes some larger lathes can turn out board but to be able to handle large vases and extra large platters you need to be able to go very slow and still have all the power available to do the cutting, plus the mass of a lot steel, cast or concrete.

Here's a link to a turner in I think Washington state that makes/made very large pieces, have a look if interested.

Vern is an old friend and I've watched him turn in his shop many times. His lathe, which he built perhaps 30 years ago is very different. It's mostly a large concrete block with the spindle not much more than knee high. He turns only wet wood. He has a system that dribbles water on the piece as he's turning. This keeps the wood wet and eliminates cracking as he turns. Vern has an outlet in Japan where many of his large bowls are sold.

Wally

Jim Underwood
07-24-2010, 2:01 PM
Just wondering who theturner in Georgia is...

I don't recognize the work, although I probably should.:rolleyes:

Joe Pelonio
07-24-2010, 2:17 PM

Thanks for that, he's a couple of hours north of me. Will have to keep an eye out for his work on display and run up there.

I'd love to see something that big being run - from a safe distance though! :D

Gary Herrmann
07-24-2010, 6:41 PM
I go to the Clayton Art Fair every year here in town and have seen that artist's booth several years in a row now. He always seems to have several of those huge buckeye burl turnings. His vessels are beautifully done too.

I had his card, but can't seem to find it. I know he offers classes because we talked about it a couple years ago.

Allen Neighbors
07-24-2010, 7:05 PM
VB 36. The Hegner workhorse lathe. It'll turn one as big as you are brave. Jude Kingery, a member here, turns on a VB. Terry Daniels used to have one, in Georgia, but I don't think that's his work. He made a bowl once that his teenage son curled up in. Terry had a pic of him with his knees over one rim and his neck against the other, laying in it.

Neil Strong
07-24-2010, 9:24 PM
Many turners on this forum have lathes that will turn that diameter outboard. Just needs a different tool post arrangement, a slow speed and a bit of experience or a lot of nerve...:)

For example (http://www.woodfast.com.au/index.php?p=1_5), some Woodfast models can do it.