PDA

View Full Version : No. 10 Vegimatic Blade

James Combs
07-23-2010, 11:22 PM
I am sure that some of you folks think that this is a bowl, well I beg to differ with you. It's a very efficient slicer/deicer. I am calling blender companies tomorrow to see what kind of deal I can get to supply them.:rolleyes: I thought about trying the finger nail clipper companies but it cuts finger nails about 3/32 too short. YEOOwww. If you want proof I can show you the demo nail, at least I can until it heals.:eek:

As far as specs:
Material = Figured 5/4 Maple
Height = 1-1/5"
ID at top = 7-1/2"
OD at tip of feet = 10"
Finish = So far one coat of Watco Danish Natural, More tomorrow then wax in a week or so.

Steve Schlumpf
07-23-2010, 11:31 PM
Very nice bowl James! Love the wood!

Sorry to hear about your finger! I am sure there is a lesson there somewhere! Hope it heals soon!

David E Keller
07-23-2010, 11:33 PM
Looks like it was exciting to turn(and painful:eek:). I like this style of turning.

Does it rest on the bowl base or on the wings?

James Combs
07-23-2010, 11:39 PM
Looks like it was exciting to turn(and painful:eek:). I like this style of turning.

Does it rest on the bowl base or on the wings?

The blades...er I mean wings are about 1/32 to 1/16" short of touching on a flat surface.

Bernie Weishapl
07-24-2010, 12:16 AM
Great looking bowl James. That will teach ya not to stick your pinky's over the tool rest.:eek: Just kidding hope it heals fast.

Mark Hubl
07-24-2010, 12:17 AM
Nice job. These are a challenge. There are several "tape" tricks to help keep the paws safe. Mark your tool rest with a piece of tape at the safety zone to let you know you have crossed the line. You can also put a piece of tape on the piece to flap in the breeze. If the paw gets to the tape you will know in a second you will be going ouch!

Leo Van Der Loo
07-24-2010, 1:53 AM
Finger nipper hé :rolleyes:, yes a challenge and you met it quite well, to bad the legs are not supporting, a couple of Walnut strips glued to the legs should remedy that I'd think, stll looks good from here :D :cool:

Fred Perreault
07-24-2010, 6:53 AM
Handsome looking wood, James. I have turned several 2, 3, and 4 winged bowls over the past year. They are a challenge, usually attractive, and painful. However, my multiple nicks, cuts and even the more severe injuries have healed over enough times to form callouses that are much tougher to penetrate now. Sorta like permanent armor....:)

John Hart
07-24-2010, 7:45 AM
Like ET said, "Owww" :(

John Keeton
07-24-2010, 8:00 AM
JD, that certainly is a beautiful piece of maple!! Glad the blood stain sanded out!:eek:;)

Nice work. Something about these winged bowls makes me want to do one - just gotta figure out how to put a finial on it!!:D

James Combs
07-24-2010, 8:24 AM
Finger nipper hé :rolleyes:, yes a challenge and you met it quite well, to bad the legs are not supporting, a couple of Walnut strips glued to the legs should remedy that I'd think, stll looks good from here :D :cool:

I wasn't sure what the "standard" was so I opted for the appearance of the wings supporting rather then actually supporting the bowl. Walnut pads at the wing tips sounds intriguing, I may have to give that some serious thought.

Thanks everyone for your comments