PDA

View Full Version : Delta 46-460 Tool Rest

Gene Hintze
07-23-2010, 10:43 PM
Need a little advice here folks. I have snapped off two of the 10" tool rests on this lathe in the last three months. The posts just snap. Both times I was roughing out the inside of cherry bowls. Does anyone know of a source for high quality tool rests with a 5/8" post. I guess I am being too aggressive with my cuts but a stronger tool rest sure would be nice.

Bill Bulloch
07-24-2010, 9:01 AM
A better, stronger tool rest will not take the danger out of poor tool technique. Two broken tool rest in three months indicates to me that there is more wrong here that the tool rest. What tool are you using to roughout the bowl? I hope a bowl gouge and that you don't have it extended to far over the tool rest. Using a Roughing Gouge to roughout a bowl could lead to a broken tool rest, a broken gouge and/or serious personal injury.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-24-2010, 9:23 AM
Gene,

I have a Sorby modular tool rest. When I was turning on a Jet Mini VS I used it. When I upgraded to my PM, it was a matter of just buying a new post to fit the PM and I could continue using the interchangeable tool rests.

John Keeton
07-24-2010, 9:29 AM
Gene, while I found the iron in the tool rests for the 46-460 too soft for my taste, I don't think I ever came close to one breaking. And, I did some pretty rugged hollowing on mine.

I could understand one breaking from a metallurgical failure, but not two. I suspect technique to be the culprit here.

Tom Sherman
07-24-2010, 9:39 AM
Gene, your info doesn't give a location, do you have any turners clubs in your area? If not or even so try to get ahold of some DVD's from folks like Bill Grumbine, Richard Raffan, or the many others that are available. Also check for the available of turning classes in your area from places like Woodcraft. Main thing is don't give up, this endevor is much to enjoyable to miss.

Bill Bolen
07-24-2010, 11:16 AM
Robust now offers tool rests with the smaller post. I use both the high and low profile rests and think they are the best out there. Jeff Nichol, a member here, makes tool rests along the same design as Robust and has had great reveiws of his rest.

John Keeton
07-24-2010, 12:17 PM
FWI, I had Jeff make me a couple of rests for my Delta, and they work great.

Cathy Schaewe
07-24-2010, 2:48 PM
Jeff made me one as well, and it's head and shoulders above what the delta came with.

Allen Neighbors
07-24-2010, 6:58 PM
I'm late, but I was going to recommend Jeff Nichol, also. If anyone can make one that'll last, it'd be him.
I hated my Sears and Grizzly lathes that had cast iron tool rests... I broke several... three, IIRC, and I even broke two cast iron banjos. It's such a pain in the butt to have to wait on a shipment to come in.

Brad Vaughn
07-24-2010, 7:17 PM
Need a little advice here folks. I have snapped off two of the 10" tool rests on this lathe in the last three months. The posts just snap. Both times I was roughing out the inside of cherry bowls. Does anyone know of a source for high quality tool rests with a 5/8" post. I guess I am being too aggressive with my cuts but a stronger tool rest sure would be nice.

Ok wait is it just Me or???
I have never had a tool rest brake NEVER but I am not one that will push things to what I wold think it could blow up... Could it be that one needs to look at when one is ruffing out one should be less to push it?

Gene Hintze
07-24-2010, 7:27 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Being a type A personality I tend to push most things and I guess my approach to roughing needs to be a little less "rough". I will check out the resource you folks offered and go from there. I am just surprised that the tool rest gave before the tool or the wood. Appreciate the advice.

Brad Vaughn
07-24-2010, 7:40 PM
Ok wait is it just Me or???
I have never had a tool rest brake NEVER but I am not one that will push things to what I wold think it could blow up... Could it be that one needs to look at when one is ruffing out one should be less to push it?

Ok turn wood as you go about it slow and enjoy the fun of turning wood.be safe....Add to as you see fit