PDA

View Full Version : I'm no Keeton

Mark Hubl
07-23-2010, 7:58 PM
or Steve or Neal or Curt for that matter. But thanks for the inspiration guys.

Being in my sophomore year of turning, I figured it was time to try making something with a finial. While I was at it, I figured it was a good time to try a collar and foot as well. Hadn't done these critters before. The piece isn't all that. The collar and foot are way too big, lost the bottom curve, foot is in crooked, etc. . But I learned a bunch about the techniques of putting something like this together.

The piece is lacewood and walnut. The walnut was ebonized with vinegar & steelwool solution. Finished with a little AO. It is about 5" tall and 3 1/2" wide. The finial is slightly under 5/64ths at it's narrowest.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4141/4822556390_0faa22225e_b.jpg

Bernie Weishapl
07-23-2010, 8:01 PM
Well I don't care who ya are. That is a beauty. I really like the finial. Form and finish look good.

Karl Card
07-23-2010, 8:03 PM
Okay what is going on with the lip or collar between pic 2 and pic 3?

I realize the pic is a little smaller but the lip is alot smaller in pic 3...

Otherwise yes it looks very nice and black/dark wood goes good with the walnut.

John Hart
07-23-2010, 8:06 PM
Yeah...I don't know what Keeton's got to do with it...You sure stand quite well all by yourself Mark.;)

The overall piece is delightful. Your finial bulb sits quite nicely in its little seat and has a nice sense of balance. Personally, I like the foot on this, as you have it.

Oh...and the colors are very appealing to me too.

Very nice:)

Ken Fitzgerald
07-23-2010, 8:17 PM
Okay what is going on with the lip or collar between pic 2 and pic 3?

I realize the pic is a little smaller but the lip is alot smaller in pic 3...

Otherwise yes it looks very nice and black/dark wood goes good with the walnut.

I could be wrong but I think he turned it over and you are seeing the pedestal on top now.

You might not be Keeton but you can certainly hold your own!

Very nice form and the woods go together well!

Nicley done!

Scott Hackler
07-23-2010, 8:56 PM
Mark, that is a superb example. Great lines and flow of the curves. Me like a lot. :)

David E Keller
07-23-2010, 9:01 PM
I really like it. I don't agree with you about the size of the collar and foot... I think the whole thing works well. I really like the finial, and the ebonizing is really good. Nice job.

Tom Sherman
07-23-2010, 9:17 PM
Mark you have created a great work here. I like this one a lot and would not be ashamed to have done this myself.

Steve Schlumpf
07-23-2010, 10:11 PM
Wow - very nice work Mark! Really like the colors and you did a great job on the finial! Has a very classy look to it! You should be real happy with this one!

Thanks for sharing!

Paul Douglass
07-23-2010, 10:14 PM
If only I were 1/4 as good, I'd be proud. Beautiful.

Karl Card
07-23-2010, 10:27 PM
I could be wrong but I think he turned it over and you are seeing the pedestal on top now.

You might not be Keeton but you can certainly hold your own!

Very nice form and the woods go together well!

Nicley done!

gee it helps to look a little further doesnt it.... I must had my had somewhere else when looking...... and i dont even drink..

John Keeton
07-23-2010, 11:17 PM
Mark, I am humbled by the suggestion:o, but you have done an excellent job with this piece, including the finial. Very nice proportions, and great contrast in the woods. You do superb work, and your vases are true art!

Michelle Rich
07-24-2010, 8:38 AM
very few of us are as talented, and have the arteye and delicate hands of Mr. Keeton. I think your finial is spot on..lacewood is so hard to finish well, it would not have been my choice, but yours looks pretty good.

James Combs
07-24-2010, 9:18 AM
Looks exceptional to me. I love it. Everything looks well balanced to me.

Bill Bolen
07-24-2010, 11:18 AM
That is called a Hubl and is a beautiful piece. Well done sir!...Bill..

David DeCristoforo
07-24-2010, 11:57 AM
"Okay what is going on with the lip or collar between pic 2 and pic 3?"

Ees downside op you silly boy...

Baxter Smith
07-24-2010, 1:25 PM
Very nice little piece! The colors, form and finish look great!

Cathy Schaewe
07-24-2010, 1:47 PM
I really, really like it!

Jim Underwood
07-24-2010, 2:06 PM
I suppose if we held it in our hands we might see what you see, but from here this piece looks fantastic....

I see nothing wrong with the size of the collar and foot... And the flow of the piece works too.

If this is a poorer example of your work, please, oh please, show us the better stuff!:D Looking forward to it!

Brad Vaughn
07-24-2010, 7:05 PM
Got to tell you that its items like this that make me work at doing more on the lathe thanks for the photos and the ideas I think it looks very good...
Brad

Frank Van Atta
07-24-2010, 10:52 PM
A great looking piece. I especially like the finial.

Mark Hubl
07-24-2010, 11:08 PM
Thanks to all for taking the time to look and offer your comments and critiques. This was a fun little piece and I think I will be playing with finials for a while. They are fun and challenging.

The inspiration and support found here are greatly appreciated.