PDA

View Full Version : Financial Question way off topic

Michael Weber
07-23-2010, 7:57 PM
Are bond prices updated in real time during the day or can you only get the prices after the close of the day? I can estimate what my mutual fund invested in stock is going to do by monitoring one or more of the stock indexes like the DOW or equivalent for small caps etc. I am unable to do that with the bond funds because everything I see only updates once at the end of the day. Are there any bond indexes that update during the day and if so where would I find that information? Hope that makes sense. Thanks

Brett Hoffman
07-23-2010, 8:18 PM
Mutual fund stock is calculated at the end of the day for the stock prices. For example, let’s assume your fund is made up of MSFT, AAPL, AA, and DELL. At the close of the day they will calculate its value based on the value of MSFT, AAPL, AA, and DELL.

I’m not aware of a real-time ticker for mutual funds (perhaps one exists), I guess if you know how they calculate it, you could calculate it real time if you really wanted to.

Brett

Chris Harry
07-23-2010, 8:36 PM
Mutual fund stock is calculated at the end of the day for the stock prices. For example, let’s assume your fund is made up of MSFT, AAPL, AA, and DELL. At the close of the day they will calculate its value based on the value of MSFT, AAPL, AA, and DELL.

I’m not aware of a real-time ticker for mutual funds (perhaps one exists), I guess if you know how they calculate it, you could calculate it real time if you really wanted to.

Brett

Along those lines, you could probably just monitor the individual stocks to give you some idea of the bond performance.

I *think* you can find out the %-ages of each stock in each fund (either Google or the prospectus), that would give you an even better idea of how the fund will perform at the end of that day (i.e. if they are 60% Microsoft, and Microsoft has a bad day....chances are the fund will go down)

Michael Weber
07-23-2010, 11:46 PM
Thanks, I know that mutual funds are calculated at days end. What I'm looking for is a bond index (say Barklays Long Term A and better) that is updated throughout the day. Failing that, are individual bonds updated frequently? I could then access the individual bond prices for some that were included in my bond mutual fund. Today, for example I knew that my small cap fund was going to close up almost 3 % by monitoring the Russell 2000 index and I was able to make an exchange decision on what to do before the market closed. Once the market closes, trades of the mutual fund are executed at the next day's closing. I want to be able make an exchange or buy/sell decision on the bond funds based on what the closing price will likely be for THAT DAY.
Sorry if this is elementary, just not real informed in the area. It may be that what I want to do is not possible with bonds and if so would appreciate knowing. Thanks

Shawn Pixley
07-24-2010, 1:37 AM
My understanding is that bond sales can occur at any time between institutions and bond dealers. Bond are usually in increments of $1m plus. Bond can the be commoditized and are rolled into funds. Bond funds trade like stocks. So trades for bond funds are transacted during market hours.

Michael Weber
07-25-2010, 11:42 AM
My understanding is that bond sales can occur at any time between institutions and bond dealers. Bond are usually in increments of $1m plus. Bond can the be commoditized and are rolled into funds. Bond funds trade like stocks. So trades for bond funds are transacted during market hours.

Sorry for being obtuse. So, if bond funds are transacted during market hours then where online would I find that real time information?

Shawn Pixley
07-25-2010, 1:26 PM
A twenty second google search garnered me this information. Fidelty (and a presume Vanguard, TRowe, etc... are reported through finance.yahoo.com. Typically there is a twenty minute delay. If you want to trade, Scott Trade, E-Trade, Charles Schwab, etc.. all can provide quotes. Real-time quotes will cost you a subscription fee to any of these. Select any bond fund and search for yourself.

Given the nature of your questions, I would encourage you to work with professionals rather than trying to this yourself. I am not trying to denigrate your intelligence or commitment, but this is an area where a little naivety can cost you lots of money. I am not a personal trader myself. I work through an investment advisor whose compensation is based solely upon my return.

Neal Clayton
07-25-2010, 5:32 PM
publicly traded funds will update at the end of the day, with the exception of ETFs because they are explicitly designed to be traded like stocks.

individual bonds fluctuate price in real time just like individual stocks do.

if you find an ETF that closely matches the diversification of the fund you're looking to buy during trading hours, you can get a pretty good idea of which direction it will head in when the market closes and traditional fund prices update, barring any other outside factor affecting that particular ETF.