PDA

View Full Version : Small Router with Flexible Shaft

Cliff Miller
07-23-2010, 7:38 PM
Hello Creative Machine Creekers! I am trying to attach a flexible shaft, like the Foredom S-10804-NC Heavy Duty Shaft and Sheath Assembly on to the Bosch Colt 1hp variable speed router. I will also most likely use the Foredom H.44HT Handpiece Square Drive for the detail work grinding out my Brock chair. Has anyone tried to put something like this together? What I am trying to do is build a better and cheaper hand held detail grinder/sander. I have used the Bosch Colt to grind some very clean shapes and need a smaller head assembly for more confined areas. I want the larger 1/4" collet to open up options for attachments. Any help you guys can come up with will be appreciated.

Prashun Patel
07-23-2010, 10:00 PM
I recently completed the Brock chair and would have loved to have a Foredom. But to be honest, you don't really need it. Try running a 50gt sanding drum on yr Colt. I don't know if the Colt's variable speed, but turn the speed way down; even with that, you might just be burning thru wood and discs faster than you can say Holy Smoke.

I used a Rotozip with a sanding drum to excellent effect.

Also, don't underestimate the amount of shaping you can do with an angle grinder. Get a 4" - not a 4 1/2" and then get a Norton backing pad from HD and some 24-40gt fiber discs. For $40, you can do 95% of your shaping with that.

The trickiest parts are the horns and the front legs where they transition into the seat. The rest is cake.

Mark Mahorney
08-26-2010, 10:43 AM
There's a flexible shaft made for the Rotozip. I have it and it works fine. It's the same shaft as the Dremel shaft adapted to fit the Rotozip. Surprisingly, it's held up to power and speed of Rotozip.

I have a Harbor Freight router speed controller to slow it down. I think they're under $20.

This setup is more power (and speed if you need it) for less money (app. $100) and I've had zero problems compared to broken shafts and burned up sheaths with the Foredom / Master Carver setup. The drawbacks are the shaft is short, can't by parts, replace at $34, can't buy different hand pieces.

I also use Harbor Freight / Chicago Electric die grinders at $30 each, I have three. That plus speed controller would be the cheapest way to go if you can use 1/4" bits and it will fit where you need it to.

Just got a Chicago Electric bandfile belt sander for $30. Handy for tight spots. Remains to be seen how it will hold up.