PDA

View Full Version : Attempted Finial

David DeCristoforo
07-23-2010, 7:13 PM
This is my first attempt at turning a finial. I told myself when I got into this that I was not going to mess with these. But the temptation is too strong. I'm getting weeeeeak... helllllp meeee...

This is pretty "clunky" but since it's my first try and I'm working with "standard sized" lathe tools (I'm really gonna need some of those little ones...) I'm cutting myself a bit of slack.

Definitely going to need something in between those two... Assuming that the vase survives the next step!

Maria Alvarado
07-23-2010, 7:26 PM
Nice attempt David,
Might I suggest a possible fix would be to part out the "tenon"-like straight portion that joins the lid and have that graceful curving part below the bead flow into the lid. I think the rest is quite nice.

David DeCristoforo
07-23-2010, 7:30 PM
"...possible fix would be to part out the "tenon"-like straight portion..."

That's what I was thinking too. But I might just try a few more "just for fun" and see if I can't refine things a bit...

Bernie Weishapl
07-23-2010, 7:55 PM
Great first finial. I to would cut the tenon down to the curve portion so it would flow with the piece.

John Hart
07-23-2010, 8:26 PM
Hmmmm...I don't know if I would say "clunky". It does need some refinement....but even so, it seems "baroque" in comparison to its vase, which seems a more refined and gentle form. Victorian maybe?

David E Keller
07-23-2010, 9:12 PM
Nice job on the details but the finial seems a bit 'stiff' to me. The vase is so long and graceful that I think you need to find a way to reflect that in the finial. Finials are hard for me... I'd just have Steve or John make one.

David Christopher
07-23-2010, 9:18 PM
David, Ive been gone for awhile, I didnt know you were turning...but it looks good to me

George Morris
07-23-2010, 9:37 PM
David the detail is good, The flow between the box and top needs to flow together. Look at Cindy Drozda site to see the master's work.
Keep at it you can do great finials with normal spindle gouges and skew chisels. G

Kyle Iwamoto
07-23-2010, 9:43 PM
My first 2 finials are in the trash. My 3rd looks nothing like that..... Nice work. Maybe my 3rd will be in the trash soon too.... :)

Steve Schlumpf
07-23-2010, 9:50 PM
David - for your first one - I think you did pretty good! We are all challenged when it comes to finials - even John ended up turning 3 on his latest turning to get one he was happy with!

About the only advice I can offer is to practice a lot and also keep in mind that no matter how thin it looks on the lathe - you probably need to turn it just a little thinner!

Have fun with it! Form comes with time and remember - it's just wood! If it breaks - grab another piece and try again!

James Combs
07-23-2010, 10:16 PM
David - for your first one - I think you did pretty good! We are all challenged when it comes to finials - even John ended up turning 3 on his latest turning to get one he was happy with!

About the only advice I can offer is to practice a lot and also keep in mind that no matter how thin it looks on the lathe - you probably need to turn it just a little thinner!

Have fun with it! Form comes with time and remember - it's just wood! If it breaks - grab another piece and try again!

Ditto on it looking thin on the lathe. That's what happened on my last one. I look really small and slender until I put it on the vessel:eek:

Mark Hubl
07-23-2010, 10:21 PM
David,

I think it looks pretty good except it is missing its skirt. All the elements are well defined and proportioned. Could be thinner at the top, but thats where it gets scary for sure. I just completed my first finial, but I did a few practice pieces to help with muscle/bevel memory and just the whole free form design aspect. I would say you did well, need to work on a better root. Think of the base of a tree. As for tools, I wouldn't race out and buy small ones. I used only two gouges, my smallest harbor freight with a fn grind and a standard spindle gouge. (Some parting tool as well) A fingernail or pointyer gouge works well for me.

Good job.

John Keeton
07-23-2010, 11:24 PM
David, looks pretty good to me. I agree with most of the comments on the base and the thinner neck, but you gotta do the first one!! The rest start to get easier. Counting the half dozen I have trashed, I have done about 18 or so - I think. They get much easier to do, but not easier to design for the piece. That is still a struggle for me.

On tools, I use a Thompson 3/8" spindle gouge to rough out, a 3/8" detail gouge for most of the detail, and a 1/4" detail gouge for the finer details. I deepen my undercuts with a vortex grind tool.