PDA

View Full Version : how to hold pieces in case?

Christopher Kanda
07-23-2010, 6:59 PM
My brother asked me to make a case to display some arrow heads with their shafts. I have most of the design issues solved except how to attach the shafts to the matt. Does anyone have a link that shows ideas of just how to do this?

Jack Camillo
07-23-2010, 11:03 PM
Excellent question. Wish I had an answer. Look forward to ideas, too.

Jamie Buxton
07-23-2010, 11:15 PM
Spring clips, construction adhesive, tie-wraps, duct tape...

Perhaps a pic of what you're trying to mount would yield more-useful answers.

Ted Calver
07-23-2010, 11:15 PM
No link, but would double sticky tape or clear monofilament work?

Garrett Ellis
07-24-2010, 2:21 AM
you could drill a hole through the shaft and put a wire through the shaft and matt and use it like a twist-tie

Jay Jolliffe
07-24-2010, 6:35 AM
What Garrett said would work but I wouldn't drill through the shaft. My wife does this in some of her art. Figure where the shaft will be, drill one or two small holes through the mat board, depends on how you choose to mount them. Thread a piece if fine mono filament line through the hole & around the shaft then back through the same or other hole & tie it off in the back.

Jack Camillo
07-24-2010, 8:38 AM
What Garrett said would work but I wouldn't drill through the shaft. My wife does this in some of her art. Figure where the shaft will be, drill one or two small holes through the mat board, depends on how you choose to mount them. Thread a piece if fine mono filament line through the hole & around the shaft then back through the same or other hole & tie it off in the back.

This one sounds good to me. If the object is worth displaying, I doubt you'd want to put holes in it!

Mike Davis NC
07-24-2010, 10:40 AM
I would use clear or black thread to hold it to the mat. That will work for arrowheads as well as the shafts. Almost all of the other methods alter the items being displayed. Never glue, tape, drill or obscure the piece.

Lee Schierer
07-24-2010, 6:09 PM
I would use clear monofiliment or they also make a clear sewing thread. Tie it around the shafts and then sew it through the backing.

Christopher Kanda
07-25-2010, 2:51 PM
I don't have pics of the arrow heads or shafts, but the idea of clear thread sounds like the ticket. Thank you for all the suggestions. I'll post some pics of the items when I actually see them.