PDA

View Full Version : LCD TV Width Help

Chris Padilla
07-23-2010, 6:48 PM
Hello Good Folks of SMC,

Perhaps a long shot here but I'm trying to find the largest-screened LCD TV possible that is LESS THAN 29" at its widest dimension.

I have a 29" wide cabinet and I'm trying to maximize the size of LCD screen that I can fit in that sucker.

Wide screen would be nice, couple of HDMIs, 1080p, blah blah. I'm not overtly concerned about brand at this point.

This request has pushed google to its limits! haha

Bruce Page
07-23-2010, 7:20 PM
Grab a yo-yo and visit your local electronics superstore / wally world.

Chris Padilla
07-23-2010, 7:44 PM
Guess what I'm finding...32" is a very popular size for LCD TVs.

Guess what the new interior size of my cabinet is gonna be?

We're done...thanks for the help! hahahaha

Brian Elfert
07-23-2010, 10:53 PM
Remember that TVs are measured diagonally. A 32" TV will generally not be 32" wide unless there are speakers along the edge or something.

Curt Harms
07-24-2010, 8:43 AM
Remember that TVs are measured diagonally. A 32" TV will generally not be 32" wide unless there are speakers along the edge or something.

Right, and some of the newer LED TV's have very little bezel around the screen.

Sean Troy
07-24-2010, 9:52 AM
You will for sure want some all around ventilation room there. They do run pretty warm.

Peter Stahl
07-24-2010, 10:29 AM
We bought a cabinet that my wife wanted and then looked at TV's to find one that fit. I really wanted a Samsung but we looked at others using the dimensions from their respective web sites. They all seemed really acuate with their dimensions but I would double check at the stores.

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-24-2010, 11:23 AM
I just installed a Sharp Aquos 60".
It's nice and snug against the wall with the flattest Sanus mount they have and the viewing angle is - - well - - it is better than my old SONY WEGA 36" full tube TV. I can see the screen just fine from pretty much any angle

Chris Padilla
07-26-2010, 5:03 PM
We picked up a Sony (32EX301) from Costco. It came in at 31.5" in width and should fit nicely and looks like a darn nice TV for the guest room. :)

Dan Lee
07-26-2010, 5:12 PM
it is better than my old SONY WEGA 36" full tube TV.

Oh man I recently got rid of one of those monsters 250lbs with no handles. Hired a couple young guys to haul it away

Chris Padilla
07-26-2010, 5:14 PM
I had a similar boat anchor 36" CRT (214 lbs.) that I sold for $120 a few years ago on CL. I specifically stated that TWO PEOPLE were needed to lift this thing and that I was NOT helping! :)

Bruce Page
07-26-2010, 7:19 PM
I was in Best Buy last weekend and was surprised that they don't even sell a CRT TV anymore.

We gave our old 200+ lb, 36" Sony WEGA CRT to our daughter a few years ago. It still has a darned good picture.

Chris Kennedy
07-26-2010, 8:26 PM
Oh man I recently got rid of one of those monsters 250lbs with no handles. Hired a couple young guys to haul it away

I had a similar boat anchor 36" CRT (214 lbs.) that I sold for $120 a few years ago on CL. I specifically stated that TWO PEOPLE were needed to lift this thing and that I was NOT helping! :)

I was in Best Buy last weekend and was surprised that they don't even sell a CRT TV anymore.

We gave our old 200+ lb, 36" Sony WEGA CRT to our daughter a few years ago. It still has a darned good picture.

We have a good sized (30" or so) CRT television, and it has a perfectly good picture. And I desperately want it to die so we can buy a thin, light weight flatscreen. We have a flatscreen, and it clearly has a superior picture, but I cannot justify getting rid of a perfectly good television with a perfectly good picture. But when we recently rearranged everything and moved both TV's, I was tempted to "drop" the heavy CRT.

Cheers,

Chris

Eric DeSilva
07-27-2010, 12:56 PM

I had a 36" Sony XBR and sold it on audiogon... I warned the guy that bought it that it was really, really heavy and awkward. Turns out one large Samoan dude can pick one of those up and carry it down the stairs no problem...

Dan Hintz
07-27-2010, 1:49 PM
turns out one large samoan dude can pick one of those up and carry it down the stairs no problem...
roflmao :d