PDA

View Full Version : Air compressor question

Marshall Harrison
12-06-2004, 4:31 PM
I have a Porter Cable pancake type air compressor and I'm debating how it should be used. In the past I've just powered it up and then when I'm done with it I have released the pressure. This seems like a lot of effort if it isn't necessary.

How do you use yours? Do you keep it plugged in and pressurized when not in use? Do you turn it on only when needed and then drain it afterwards?

Michael Perata
12-06-2004, 4:38 PM
I would recommend blowing the condensate out at least once a day.

Tyler Howell
12-06-2004, 4:44 PM
For the shop Bosch, I have it on a timer. Give it twist and have air for an hour plus. No matter how hard I've tried I can't get it all sealed up tight, and it will leak out over time. Usually bout 2 in the morning it will kick in, thus the time to eliminate that problem.

The 3HP IR in the Garage has it's own breaker which is also attached to a pilot light I can see from the house. It is better about conserving energy but also much more pricy to operate. In both cases I cut off the air supply to the lines to take the pressure of the seals and slow down the air loss.

Thomas Walker
12-07-2004, 11:45 PM
It's more trouble, but you're doing it right by releasing the pressure after using it. Otherwise, condensation will build in the tank and eventually rust it out.

How long will that be? Don't know. So you could decide that the hassle factor makes it worth just buying a new compressor X years from now.

The lawyers say to release the pressure otherwise your compressor may eventually rupture and blow up your house.

Steve Jenkins
12-08-2004, 8:38 AM
Marshall, you don't need to drain the pressure off when not in use. You should open the petcock enough to drain out any water but you can close it again once the water stops. If you ask any of the compressor mfg. they will say the same. Somehow I don't think that your compressor will "blow up your house".

Thomas Walker
12-08-2004, 9:17 AM
I was making a facitious comment about the dangers of letting your tank rust through, not from storing pressure in it.

Personally, I drain mine every couple of weeks or so. No signs of rust yet.

Jason Roehl
12-08-2004, 9:31 AM
I've got one of those PC twin-cylinder jobs. At first, I was very conscientious about draining it after every use (which required letting all the air out to get all the water out), and the pressure held very well then if I did let it sit for any length of time. Over time, draining it just got to be too much of a hassle. Now, when I do drain it, the water is rusty, and it won't hold pressure for more than about 2 days, if left alone. Life goes on. Since it won't hold pressure, I don't worry about the tank blowing up (it CAN happen--a friend of a friend shot one through the roof of his garage). I just try to remember to shut it off or unplug it so that it's not waking the neighbors at 2 in the morning.

Marshall Harrison
12-08-2004, 11:45 AM
Thanks for all of the input. I think I'll just modify my proceedures a little and leave the compressor under my workbench instead of putting it away as I have in the past. Since I don't use it everyday I think I'll keep draining it after each use as I do now.

I'm not worried about it blowing up the house but I do worry about waking the neighbors and me at 2 in the morning. That thing sure is noisy.