PDA

View Full Version : Woodworkers in Texas-long

Shawn Stennett
07-23-2010, 12:52 PM
Here i what I have been thinking, I live in central Texas smack dab between Dallas and Ft. Worth. Well as with all of you I want to learn as much as I can about my hobby and desired craft, I have seen many projects from guys in Texas that just amaze me and can clearly see many of you might be able to help develop my skill. Here is what I was thinking about, something like a "traveling apprentice". I would like to hear from anyone that would like to share their knowledge from time to time. This is what I had in mind, those that are interested can just pm me, we can chat a bit and when you are working on a project let me know I can come by spend sometime helping and just learning from different people as much as possible. I am interested in just about all aspects of wood working from design, bidding, cabinets, furniture, turning, hand tool work, sharpening techniques, dovetailing, and especially finishing which seems a mistery at times. I really am interested in everything and have learned that I pick up things better this way. I am working out a time with a fine gentleman that I bought my planer from near Dallas to do just that when it cools down and it got me thinking.

Sorry about the long post and I hope it all makes sense.

Shawn Stennett

Ken Fitzgerald
07-23-2010, 1:09 PM
Shawn,

You have some really talented friendly woodworkers in that area. While in the area on business a few years ago, I had lunch with a number of them and then we invaded the Rockler store. The good folks at Rockler were still chuckling to themselves as we left.

I am sure there are a number of skilled people who would be glad to let you help and observe.

Shawn Stennett
07-23-2010, 1:28 PM
Everytime that I have bought something from craigslist I haveended up spending a couple of hours with them talking and just looking at there shop. I spent several hours with a really nice man near Oklahoma on Sunday when I purchaced some wood from him. He told me how he made his pecan cabinets from trees on his place and showedme his whole house and shop. My wife says that we woodworkers are strange people, we act like we know each other and are so nice to one another. She is not used to it and I tell her I wish everyone acted this way. I am apart of several different forums and this one is such a pleasure, everyone is nice, knowledgable and helpful.

lowell holmes
07-23-2010, 2:18 PM
If you live in Dallas, check out the woodworking school at Homestead Heritage near Waco. You can Google them for the web site.

Derrell W Sloan
07-23-2010, 3:15 PM
Homestead is a very cool place. I took a class there once and it was excellent. They do all kinds of crafts there and the folks there were very nice. And, in addition to all of that, they have some of the best smoked brisket in the world. They have an open house type thing several times a year. Well worth a trip to check it out.

Shawn Stennett
07-23-2010, 3:41 PM
I will defiantly look into it.

Paul Canaris
07-23-2010, 4:45 PM
I'm in Waco. Will be starting work on a suite of bedroom furniture in a few weeks. You more than wellcome to hang and assist if you like. :)

Steve Jenkins
07-23-2010, 8:23 PM
I'm just east of McKinney a bit. You are more than welcome to come by any time. I am a fulltime woodworker with my shop behind the house so I'm most always here. You can see some of the things I've done on my website stephen-jenkins.com.

Shawn Stennett
07-23-2010, 11:31 PM
Thank you both and I am definatly interested. I will try and work out my schedual and contact you.

Bill ThompsonNM
07-24-2010, 12:27 AM
I think you're definitely right about woodworkers.. I go buy something from someone on Craig's list and it seems like we're long lost friends or relatives.. I see shops, they ask for pictures from mine.. I sell something to a new woodworker and go in and grab a couple of books to help them get started. We're a very open and friendly group.. and that's really great. We may have differences, but they're like family differences not like the north vs south.

Sawmill creek, I think exemplifies the best of the woodworking alliance/friendship Almost like we're all the same members of the secret guild from the middle ages...

and here's an encouragement for everyone to put their location in their profile.. maybe you have a friend next door and don't know it!

mark kosse
07-24-2010, 5:42 AM
Isn't Buffalo between Dallas and Houston?

Shawn Stennett
07-24-2010, 8:36 PM
Yes sir almost equal distant either way on I45.

mark kosse
07-24-2010, 10:50 PM
You threw me by saying your in between D/FW. I'm 40 miles west of centerville, (which is actually eqidistant, hense the name). The bad news is right now I'm in the middle of a remodel project and I'm stuck on that for another month or so. After that you could come learn... unless you want to learn rough carpentry and trim. It's real, real fun. Ya ought to come an try, oh, lets say a weeks worth. :)

Shawn Stennett
07-24-2010, 11:24 PM
I just read my post and don't know why I put between Dallas and Ft. Worth. I meant to write Dallas and Houston.

Cody Colston
07-25-2010, 7:15 AM
I just read my post and don't know why I put between Dallas and Ft. Worth. I meant to write Dallas and Houston.

Yeah, that threw me for a minute there, too.

I'm in Tyler and often drive through Buffalo on the way to Houston. I also make frequent trips to M&G Sawmill at Huntsville. I'll shoot you a PM next time I'm going there. You might want to ride with me. It's a pretty cool place and both Michael and Glenn are very nice people.

Shawn Stennett
07-25-2010, 9:54 AM
I used to live in between Dallas and Ft Worth and east and west of DFW so I guess I lost my mind for a minute. I would like that Cody, I have seen there website and have been interested in going for a while.

rick carpenter
07-27-2010, 12:30 AM
There's still a lot of rebuild and finishing/trim carpentry type of volunteer work to be done in Galveston and the Bay area for hurricane recovery. Connect with your church or maybe a civic organization. You'll get all kinds of experience from "rough and ready" to pictures-in-your-den work. For that matter, you can find the same volunteer opportunities in and near Buffalo. It's not fine woodworking, but you'll learn the bones of a house well.