PDA

View Full Version : Saved?

David DeCristoforo
07-23-2010, 12:34 PM
A couple of days ago, I posted a "snivel" about how much trouble I was having and mentioned this spalted maple vase as one of my problems. I had turned into some really punky areas which seemed to be bad enough to render the piece useless. I got out my Dremel and ground out the punky parts. Then I filled them with epoxy wood filler. After that set, I re-turned the shape and went to work with some paint and a fine point sharpie. This is the result. I'm "on the fence" here. I can't decide if this it "convincing" enough to press on with. I've got a couple of days to ponder it because I'm still waiting for my steady from JN before I try to hollow it out.

Steve Schlumpf
07-23-2010, 12:54 PM
David - that sure is a cool chunk of wood! Nice form! Looking forward to seeing the completed piece!

Terry Beadle
07-23-2010, 1:01 PM
I too think it's an interesting piece. With a finish applied I think the repair will give some character to the piece that it wouldn't normally have.

You have to be the judge thou as pictures, while worth a 1000 words, don't show the piece in your hand and sun light.

It's a good balanced shape...IMO

Ken Fitzgerald
07-23-2010, 1:06 PM
Press on! That could be an impressive piece.

John Keeton
07-23-2010, 1:13 PM
Looks convincing to me, and I really like the form!! Better watch on the finish, though, as the Sharpie may bleed or run with a wiped on finish. Just a thought.

This might be a good piece for some experimentation with toned finishes.

John Hart
07-23-2010, 1:17 PM
Wow...very pleasing form. I like the colors too. I see no reason to abandon this.

David DeCristoforo
07-23-2010, 1:22 PM
"Better watch on the finish..."

I'm witchu. I'm thinking a buildup of light coats of (dare I say it?) lacquer...

Ken Fitzgerald
07-23-2010, 1:34 PM
David,

You forgot the "(hic)".

Baxter Smith
07-23-2010, 2:06 PM
Like the shape and it should be colorful! I would say its worth a shot. And I'm not talking lacquer.:)

Roger Chandler
07-23-2010, 2:23 PM
Go for it David,

You might just have a treasure there, but be careful, a blowout would just ruin your day and the potential this one has....:eek::D;)

Wayne Bower
07-23-2010, 2:26 PM
Nice form. Nice save. Hope you post the finished product.

Tim Rinehart
07-23-2010, 2:30 PM
Dang, that's a nice looking form and piece of wood there David. Good luck with that one. Hadn't seen that shape in anything recently...I like it.

Question: Was that shape planned, or just what resulted in getting down to solid good looking material? Either way...can't wait to see end result with some finish to really make it pop.

David DeCristoforo
07-23-2010, 3:15 PM
"Was that shape planned, or just what resulted in getting down to solid good looking material?"

Actually, it was planned but it's a bit smaller than I wanted due to trying to get past the rotten wood. I'm looking at traditional vase shapes and also stoppered bottles so that's kind of where this was (is) going.

"...be careful, a blowout would just ruin your day..."

That's something that remains to be seen... how well the epoxy filler holds up to the hollowing process. I can tell you one thing... I'm not going to try to go too thin on it... maybe a quarter of an inch or so.

Bernie Weishapl
07-23-2010, 3:19 PM
Good looking form. Carry on.

David E Keller
07-23-2010, 4:13 PM
That looks awful... Please box it up immediately and send it to me for disposal.:D

In the future, please send me these blanks before you ever start to turn them. I don't want you to worry about silly things like this. I'm here for you.

Tom Sherman
07-23-2010, 5:42 PM
DD I'ld say press on dude, as ya hollo if the filler falls out try not to let er explode. That form with a few large bug holes would look pretty cool.

Michael James
07-23-2010, 8:20 PM
IMHO, you need to decide who this is for. I think we, as a group, would probably be more critical, than say your neighbor down the street. Most non-turners or woodworkers would probably appreciate it for what it is... a very nice vase. Living out here in the desert I dont see a lot of spalted, figured wood (yet). I marvel at the individual shape and color tones on every piece I've seen.
Toners can work miracles if you're "iffy" about the patch, but I'd put a sealer coat on by spray as mentioned earlier. That also gives you wiggle room if you get carried away,,,,,,:)
All around nice piece. I can see why you did not trash it!
mj

Leo Van Der Loo
07-23-2010, 8:34 PM
A couple of days ago, I posted a "snivel" about how much trouble I was having and mentioned this spalted maple vase as one of my problems. I had turned into some really punky areas which seemed to be bad enough to render the piece useless. I got out my Dremel and ground out the punky parts. Then I filled them with epoxy wood filler. After that set, I re-turned the shape and went to work with some paint and a fine point sharpie. This is the result. I'm "on the fence" here. I can't decide if this it "convincing" enough to press on with. I've got a couple of days to ponder it because I'm still waiting for my steady from JN before I try to hollow it out.

David, it does look very good from here, though I can't really see and tell the way the added material looks, as compared to the surrounding wood, also as soon as you add a finish some of those colors will look different.

However I don't see a reason for you to abandon this project, it has a lot of potential right now, and even when it turns out to be not perfect, it will still be a nice piece just for the shape of it,that's IMO :eek: :D

Like to seea good picture from it when you're done with it :)

Mark Hubl
07-23-2010, 11:19 PM
Fix looks good to me. Forge on. I agree on lacquer, I wouldn't oil, oil seems to really dull spalted wood. I think lacquer will brighten it and really make that wood look good. Like the shape.