PDA

View Full Version : Stone shaving

Paul Douglass
07-23-2010, 12:16 PM
Finally finished my shaving kit. Done in soap stone. Took me three attempts on the brush handle but finally finished this AM. Lot of fun. Now I need to make a stand for the brush and razor. Not much of a picture taker, but will have to do for now.

Steve Schlumpf
07-23-2010, 12:56 PM
Nice - very nice! Really like the color of the soapstone! About the only suggestion I can think of is - next time post a larger photo so we can appreciate your work!

Roger Chandler
07-23-2010, 2:30 PM
That is just way cool! Beautiful and useful at the same time! :cool:

Tim Rinehart
07-23-2010, 2:34 PM
I like it, and also hope you can post a bigger pic. I got my stone in a week or so ago...which means nothing. It's already sitting at the back of my burl shelf waiting for my inspiration to do something. Only a few pieces, but enough to do something similar to what you have there.

Where did you get your shaver kit, Berea or Ariz Sil or LV? Any thing worth passing along with regards to it, or the badger knot selection?

And...what if any finish have you also put on the pieces? Not that it probably needs anything, but I guess it could be porous enough to stain.

Sorry for so many questions...I'm still soaking up as much knowledge as I can.

Bernie Weishapl
07-23-2010, 3:28 PM
That is really cool. I like it.

David E Keller
07-23-2010, 3:39 PM
I think it's a great looking set. I'll have to do something like that at some point.

Paul Douglass
07-23-2010, 10:27 PM
I like it, and also hope you can post a bigger pic. I got my stone in a week or so ago...which means nothing. It's already sitting at the back of my burl shelf waiting for my inspiration to do something. Only a few pieces, but enough to do something similar to what you have there.

Where did you get your shaver kit, Berea or Ariz Sil or LV? Any thing worth passing along with regards to it, or the badger knot selection?

And...what if any finish have you also put on the pieces? Not that it probably needs anything, but I guess it could be porous enough to stain.

Sorry for so many questions...I'm still soaking up as much knowledge as I can.

I ordered the razor kit, brush knob and soap from Golden Nib. I've also since ordered a couple razors and knobs from AS. I like AS's (hummm) razors a little better (looks wise) and they come with a blade and a little cheaper. I do not care so much for his knobs though. I finished it with wet sanding with MM through 12K, than some Hut polish followed by a coat of Renaissance Wax (which people are telling me is the same thing as Kiwi shoe polish(??).

Thanks folks for the nice comments.

Paul Douglass
07-23-2010, 10:30 PM
Oh ya, I've tried posting bigger pictures and it doesn't work for me. Besides, bigger pictures means flaws show up more...

Mark Hubl
07-23-2010, 11:33 PM
Sweet. That shaving kit looks great. Probably feels great in the morning. Working with stone is definetly intriguing. Any insight in to the work and tools. What about be careful ofs and gothchas. Nice job.