PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone identify this tree?

Maria Alvarado
07-23-2010, 11:37 AM
This was posted in a craigslist add. I can't tell if it's one of the walnuts/pecan/hickories or ash. Trying to determine if it's worth the effort in this heat ;)

Thanks for the help!

Cathy Schaewe
07-23-2010, 11:47 AM
Sure looks like ash to me, although I can't see the bark really well. If it was hickory, the three leaves on the end would be much bigger than the ones beneath them. If it was walnut, there would be many more leaves in a row. Can't speak to pecan. I have about a million ash trees on my land, though, and what I can tell from the pics that's what it is.

Maria Alvarado
07-23-2010, 11:53 AM
Thanks Cathy, here's a "better" view of the bark. How is ash for turning?

Cathy Schaewe
07-23-2010, 12:02 PM
Ash tends to have a fairly distinctive diamond-shaped pattern in the bark. That does look like it. My one caveat is that the pic of the leaves may be misleading to me, due to perspective. The three leaves on the front of the stem in your pic look like they're about the same size as the ones behind them, but it's a picture rather than real life, so I'd hate to make an assumption.

Personally, I don't like ash at all. I use it for practice with new tools. I have seen a lot of pictures of really neat pieces involving color, scorching, etc, to liven it up.

Roger Chandler
07-23-2010, 12:14 PM
Maria,

Ash can make some beautiful turnings. The grain in the wood is coarse, but it can make a lovely project. Here is a link to an ash bowl made by one of our club members:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_K1OtsFCyVRM/TDEj8uhaWmI/AAAAAAAAFJM/YYQTUkdFIlo/s912/IMGP3005.JPG

I like your tag line: "A wood chick can chuck wood"

Bernie Weishapl
07-23-2010, 3:26 PM
I am guessing Ash. Ash is a great turning wood and can be plain. I have several pieces that are canidates for airbrushing I hope.

David E Keller
07-23-2010, 3:44 PM
I've enjoyed the little bit of ash that I've turned. It is rather plain looking, but it's a good wood for sandblasting, wire brushing, and pyrography from what I understand.

Here's a link to a piece I turned from fresh ash:

www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=143090

David Hullum
07-23-2010, 4:10 PM
That is ash. You can even do some coloring with RIT stain too and it turn out wonderful.

Jim Mahan
07-23-2010, 4:21 PM
It's defintely Ash. As for turning, it's a fun turn. FYI: most Major League baseball bats are made from Ash.

Tom Sherman
07-23-2010, 5:49 PM
Ash was my first thought also.

John Hart
07-23-2010, 6:02 PM
I'm pretty sure it's wooden. Yep...definitely...it's a wooden tree. Made of wood.

Glad I could help. ;)

Maria Alvarado
07-23-2010, 6:16 PM
you are absolutely right, and you didn't make an ash of yourself! ;)

Roger, I can chuck a lot more than wood, but I chuck like a girl :(

Thanks everyone for the ID, sounds like it could be worth it, but it may take a lot of lacquer before I have the courage to tackle a tree in that position by myself. Hopefully the lister will have a few folks interested.

Thom Sturgill
07-23-2010, 7:05 PM
I posted some ash items I turned here: http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=143188

I enjoyed turning ash, but I was turning dry stock.

Josh Bowman
07-23-2010, 7:34 PM
Another ash turning

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=143554

Maria Alvarado
07-23-2010, 7:45 PM
Thanks for posting, it looks like ash has some nice potential. I'm particularly fond of your vase David and the bowl Roger posted. Definitely will have to try it.

Leo Van Der Loo
07-23-2010, 8:17 PM
This was posted in a craigslist add. I can't tell if it's one of the walnuts/pecan/hickories or ash. Trying to determine if it's worth the effort in this heat ;)

Thanks for the help!

Definitely an Ash tree you got there, the leafs are photographed at an angle and so we get a false look of it, though I think it is white Ash.

I have never seen or turned any Ash that I didn't like, the crotches from the main as well as from the branches have figured wood, guaranteed.

I will add a couple of pictures of different Ash turnings I made, and there are more ways to get the Ash wood to call for your attention, like coloring and sanding it back, then a second color added to give it a beautiful look, all there but for the cutting and turning in that tree :cool::D