PDA

View Full Version : Maloof router bits?

Brian Penning
07-23-2010, 7:42 AM
Anyone use/used them? I bought them to make some slightly splayed stools and without doing any experimenting with them yet I can't figure out how to use them. I do know how to make a 90 deg. Maloof joint.
What confuses me is that the bearing is tapered.
How does one get the tapered bearing sides to ride flush with the initial cut-out notch?

mark r johnson
07-23-2010, 6:10 PM
The bearings are tapered to give you a 6 deg splay in the leg angle. You will need to tilt the the router bits in relationship to the stock you are routing. You can do that by adding a 6 deg shim to your router table fence. The tapered bearing face would then be 90 deg to your router table top, but tilted 6 deg from your stock.

You can also add a 6 deg shim to the bottom of you router base plate and route them freehand, though I've not tried that method.

Brian Penning
07-23-2010, 9:39 PM
Any reason why can't I simply cut the stock itself at the required angle? (the bits only came in a 3 or 5 deg. angle btw)

mark r johnson
07-26-2010, 9:03 PM
Nope, these bits are made to be tilted. Do a Google search on "maloof router bits" and "maloof low back chair" you'll find instruction on how to use them on a festool forum.

Brent Smith
07-27-2010, 6:28 AM
Hi Bri,
I believe Scott Morrison uses them on his Elegant Rocker DVD. You might want to get in touch with him at finewoodworker.com