PDA

View Full Version : A Few More Spins

Jim Mahan
07-23-2010, 12:07 AM
Some late night turnings: Deer Antler; Shreaded Money; Craft Show Cutting Board; Parallam Beam (cut 3 different ways); Jack Daniels Barrel; Pheasant Feathers

Karl Card
07-23-2010, 12:50 AM
nice...

does deer antler stink like others say?

I to have some jack daniels barrel pen blanks. I mean it smells good too...
But mine isnt as dark as yours is. The wood that had the alcohol next to it is very dark or almost black but the rest of the wood is literally very light oak. Needless to say yours seem to be nicer than mine is what I am getting at.

Good work.

Paul Douglass
07-23-2010, 9:59 AM
Nice work. I really like the Parallam Beam ones make a unique pen.

Karl, antler smells, kind of like burnt hair to me, when drilled and turned. I've gotten use to it and don't mind it anymore. The black on the whiskey barrel is burnt wood, isn't it? Don't they burn the inside of the barrels to get flavor?

David E Keller
07-23-2010, 4:28 PM
Nice pens. I also like the parallam pens a lot. I've seen some of those that were dyed that turned out really well too.

Bernie Weishapl
07-23-2010, 7:59 PM
Really nice bunch of pens. Well done.

John Hart
07-23-2010, 8:12 PM
Nice set of work Jim. You're making me think I oughta knock one these pheasants senseless and steal some of his feathers....or cook him...and take them all.

Nice job on the antler. I see you got some purple in there.

Yes Karl...it smells like burning hair....or burning finger nails. Just spray a little lacquer....you'll ferget about it.;)

Jerry Marcantel
07-23-2010, 8:23 PM
Those are some nice looking pens, Jim. Does the one in picture 3 have cholla wood in it, or is it something I don't know about yet.. It's my favotite.... They're all good, but one stands out.....

"You're making me think I oughta knock one these pheasants senseless and steal some of his feathers....or cook him...and take them all"
Jon, That's a good plan, eating pheasant while making something beautiful. It will do absolute justice to the bird........ Jerry (in Tucson)

Billy Tallant
07-24-2010, 12:30 AM
Nice looking pens in that bunch. I'm partial to the antler pen. I like making them but the antler does smell. I've gotten used to it though.

James Combs
07-24-2010, 8:31 AM
Great job Jim on all of them. My favorites would be the Parallam Beam pens.

Steve Schlumpf
07-24-2010, 1:22 PM
Nice work on everything Jim! Really like the middle cut of Parallam Beam. From the thumbnail photo - looked like Tiger Maple!

Keep up the good work!