PDA

View Full Version : Grizz G0555P or G0555X or G0513P?

Rob Price
07-22-2010, 11:48 PM
Okay, basically I see the difference between the first two- cast iron wheels, bigger motor, and resaw fence. I guess it's worth the increase. What caught my eye was the Polar Bear series G0513 17 saw. They have the new Polar Bear series at a decent discount making it only about $75 more than the G0555X. I can do 220 so that's not a problem. I noticed it has aluminum wheels instead of cast iron, but I wont need a riser block either. But where do you stop? Is it worth the extra cost or do I spend almost half on the G0555P?

This will be my first BS. I don't want to overdo it, but I don't want to under do it either. It took me three tries to get the TS I wanted. I figure I will be doing a little bit of everything on it. I got a chance to meet the guy who invented the Carter guides, he lives here locally, and he put on a very impressive demo- would I still need aftermarket guides with the 17" saw? I could probably spring for the guides with the two cheaper saws but it might stretch the budget a bit with the bigger saw as I will be getting the mobile base as well.

I'm also not stuck on Grizzly but thats where I'm leaning.

Eiji Fuller
07-23-2010, 12:27 AM
Bigger is better. I would go for the 0513 but deffinately cast trunnion and wheels

Rob Price
07-23-2010, 8:14 AM
The cast iron on the 0513 takes it out of my price range. So that leaves the 0555X with cast iron vs the 0513P with aluminum.

Oh yea, I can also get the shop fox 1706 for $650 locally. From what I can tell it's the same as the 055X minus 0.5 HP.

Prashun Patel
07-23-2010, 9:05 AM
I bought the G0555, and wish I had bought a 17". Go for the bigger guns. In fact, if you have 220v, then consider bumping up another couple hundred and getting the G0513X2:

It is a heavier saw, comes with a resaw fence, better guides, and cast iron parts.

If you're a 'took-me-three-tries-to-get-the-TS-I-wanted' kind of guy as I am (Delta Shopmaster-->Jet Hybrid-->Sawstop), then you'll have a similar experience to me on the BS front.

david graves
07-23-2010, 9:21 AM
I just got the shop fox last week. It is very similar to the G055X. It has the cast Iron wheels and nice blade guides (Upper and lower) It appears to be well constructed and runs very true and quiet after the initial set-up. The table trunion on the shop fox is not cast iron, it is aluminum.

Get some good blades with whatever saw you purchase. I would keep the one that comes with it as a emergency use spare.

David Woodruff
07-23-2010, 9:25 AM
I can not remember a time in my machine and tool purchasing experiences since about 1962 that I have been rewarded for buying frugal, that dog does not hunt in the tool world. Conversely when I stretched my budget by a factor of 2x or 3x the degree of "I should haves" practically disappeared. Also when upgrade time came I was not trying to sell a piece of used junk, that was junk when it was new. Anyway that is my two cents.

Rod Sheridan
07-23-2010, 10:24 AM
Rob, buy the one with the cast iron wheels and trunnions.

As others have indicated, spend a little more once instead of replacing the machine down the road.

Regards, Rod.

Rob Price
07-23-2010, 10:33 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I have one more saw to consider. My local dealer has the steel city 50100G with the riser kit for $650. It has 1.5hp motor, cast iron wheels, granite top, fence, 5 year warranty, etc. That seems to be the best deal on 12" of resaw capacity.

Kevin Gregoire
07-23-2010, 6:44 PM
here is a word of wisdom my head porting guy gave me back in my drag racing days...

"you always have enough money to do it over but never enough to do it right the first time!"

scrounge for extra cash and get the better stuff you want and have fun.

Guy Belleman
07-23-2010, 7:27 PM
Having been frugal for many years and making due with inferior tools, I now regret not getting quality in the first place. I would saved a lot of money in avoiding fixing costs, adaptations and upgrades. Avoid getting riser blocks and such, that is really a band aid, pushing a saw to its limits, perhaps beyond. I have the G0513X, it is a saw I wish I had gotten first, many years ago.

Good luck with your decision.

Rob Price
07-23-2010, 9:16 PM
So would you guys go with the cast iron wheels of the G0555X or the size of the G013 Polar Bear series? going all the way to the G013X is just out of reach.

Eiji Fuller
07-23-2010, 9:25 PM
I would definately wait until the 513x is within reach then. What's another couple of months of saving going to hurt. Worth the wait for sure. I did plenty of good WWing before I got a BS. I didn't know how great they were until I got one.

Good things come to those who wait.