PDA

View Full Version : Does a 15 or 18" wide belt sander exist, with a platen and with digital adjust?

dirk martin
07-22-2010, 11:37 PM
Anyone know if I can get a wide belt sander, with digital adjustment (thickness) in a 15 or 18" model, that also has a platen, and is single phase?

Grizzly's smallest wide belt, with digital adjustment doesn't have a platen.

I'm wanting this primarily to simply perform finish sanding down to 1/8" thin...maybe even 1/16". Often 1/4". Never wider than 15".

Ed Hazel
07-23-2010, 8:47 AM
I have the G9983 wide belt it has a platen, the first thing I did was add a digital readout to it works really well. I do not know how you could ever live without it. I can measure the wood with my dig calipers and set the height adjustment to match and I am ready to go.
I will get a pic if you would like.

I am sure a built in one would be better but for 50 bucks this is a good alternative but then if a dig read out only costs 50 bucks I do not understand why they are not built into the machine or at least an option.

Rick Lizek
07-23-2010, 6:39 PM
http://grizzly.com/products/15-Wide-Belt-Sander-Open-End-/G9983 It does have a platen, see the manual for details
The platen is only for finish sanding and you can go with a 120 grit belt for platen sanding. The platen and oscillating belt really make a difference compared to a drum sander.

dirk martin
07-23-2010, 11:50 PM
Rick, but it doesn't have digital adjusting.

Ed, that's just a digital read out. I'm wanting the digital adjustments, where you punch in .25, and the table moves to sand to 1/4 inch.

I'm looking for a model with a platen, and automatic digital adjustment of the table.

I just can't believe nobody has done this.

Will Overton
07-23-2010, 11:59 PM
That would be an interesting feature but I wouldn't be surprised if it's not available. The same feature could also be helpful on any number of tools, planers come to mind, but would probably add significantly to the cost.

dirk martin
07-24-2010, 12:13 AM
Well, it's a feature on the next size up from the 15", through Grizzly, but they drop the platten....why, beats me!

Rick Lizek
07-24-2010, 8:25 AM
It would add a lot to the cost for a programmable height adjuster. You can add one if you are willing to go to the trouble and expense. Unless you are a real production shop it's not really worth it. A digital readout is more than most need and you could add a gear motor and push button to avoid hand cranking the table. We did that on our Dewalt 42" Radial arm saw as it was a lot of effort to move. Typically on a widebelt table the gearing is low so it takes many cranks to move the table an inch. If we used our Minimax 24" widebelt more we'd probably add a gear motor to adjust the table height. We could then add the components to make the table height programmable if we really needed that feature.

Most folks don't realize machines are actually cheaper than they were 30 years ago and you have more options to choose from than you ever did in the past. 30 plus years ago for the hobby woodworker there was only Sears.

Steve Griffin
07-24-2010, 8:28 AM
Wouldn't that be sweet to have on all the tools in the shop?

But unless you are a large production shop, using each machine for hours each day, it's not really a helpful feature.

I have the 15" grizzly, with aftermarket digital readout. Having an automatic table adjustment would probably save me a total of 90 seconds for each kitchen I produce. Take a long time to payoff that feature, if it existed in that size of machine.....

-Steve

Mike Hollingsworth
07-24-2010, 10:04 AM
I went from a 16" open end Powermatic w/ Platen to a ShopFox (Grizzly) 20" without. I did it for the motorized (digital) elevation, and don't miss the platen a bit.