PDA

View Full Version : muffler for miter saw?

david brum
07-22-2010, 10:45 PM
OK, I know this is kinda out there, but I have to ask. I made a nice dust shroud for my CSMS which works great. Now I wish it were quieter. Anybody seen a muffler idea for a saw with a universal motor? If you have, I'm all ears. I was envisioning some kind of foam box, kind of what is available for Rigid shop vacs. Obviously, the muffler would have to allow enough air to prevent overheating. Ideas?

Chip Lindley
07-23-2010, 12:46 AM
Would it not be simpler to wear ear plugs or a muff-type ear protector?

david brum
07-23-2010, 12:58 AM
Well yeah, I already do that. Except that I occasionally make "just one cut" without hearing protection, and am reminded of how loud the machine is compared to all the other machines (which use induction motors). Maybe I'm the only guy who's ever wondered this....

Chip Lindley
07-23-2010, 1:10 AM
David, IMO, the effort expended to quiet your SCMS for "just one cut" ain't worth it. Universal motors are what they are, although some are inherently quieter than others. There is a huge difference among different brands of routers and shop vacs; why not SCMSs? Shop around, you might want to trade "down" to a quieter brand.

david brum
07-23-2010, 9:23 AM
Thanks Chip. You're right, it's a noisy machine. I already have a pretty nice one- a Hitachi slider. Just wondered if anyone had ever addressed the noise reduction issue.

I read the thread about reducing noise on a cheap Craftsman tablesaw. The same method can't be done with a miter saw unless you put a big, foam filled box over the top of the saw. Oh well. Maybe I'll think of something and found the Noise Stop company.

Myk Rian
07-23-2010, 9:55 AM
You could always trade up to a DeWalt RAS. :D

Tom Esh
07-23-2010, 10:36 AM
... a Hitachi slider...

That's part of it anyway. The Hitachis may not be louder overall, but the pitch is sure annoying ...especially that squeal when braking. I can't stand to use mine without hearing protection - even for a quick one cut.