PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Bandsaw Motor

Ray Taylor
04-04-2003, 11:01 PM
I recently moved (from DC to CO Springs) and have just now got around to wiring my garage for 240V. I've got a 18" Grizzly bandsaw with a 2HP motor. Worked fine before the move.

I've tested the power at the wall and inside the switch of the saw...both appear fine. The saw hummmmssss loudly when I throw the switch but the wheels won't turn. I can manually start the wheels as I throw the switch and the saw will run...but not at full speed.

I've only let this run this way momentarily for fear of ruining the motor.

Any help out there? Have I got a loose screw?

Ray, CO Woodturner

Bob Lasley
04-04-2003, 11:15 PM
Ray,

Sounds like it could be a bad capacitor or start winding switch. If this is not a totally enclosed motor, try blowing it out good with compressed air. If that doesn't solve the problem, pull the capacitor and take it to an electric motor shop and ask them to test it. If the capacitor is good, you will generally find the start winding switch inside of the rear end bell of the motor. You may find the easiest thing to do is to take the whole motor to an electric motor shop to be checked out. It shouldn't take them long to tell you what the problem is.

Good luck,
Bob

Paul Kunkel
04-05-2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Bob Lasley
Ray,

Sounds like it could be a bad capacitor or start winding switch. If this is not a totally enclosed motor, try blowing it out good with compressed air. If that doesn't solve the problem, pull the capacitor and take it to an electric motor shop and ask them to test it. If the capacitor is good, you will generally find the start winding switch inside of the rear end bell of the motor. You may find the easiest thing to do is to take the whole motor to an electric motor shop to be checked out. It shouldn't take them long to tell you what the problem is.

Good luck,
Bob Grizzly motors have a habit of loosening start switches, especially in transit. That in turn can fry a start capacitor. I've lost both on both my saw and bandsaw so now I keep spares on hand. First check the switch.... Paul

Ray Taylor
04-05-2003, 1:38 PM
Sounds like everyone is in agreement (I posted on another board also). I'll clean and test and then replace the capacitor if that's the culprit.

Appreciate the inputs!

Ray