PDA

View Full Version : Color Core Cardstock -raster engravable?

Larry Bratton
07-22-2010, 8:28 PM
I ran across this stuff on the internet and just wondered if it would laser and give you 2 colors (similar to engraving plastic). Is anybody familiar with it or know if it will laser as such?
http://www.coredinations.com/

Dan Hintz
07-22-2010, 8:35 PM
Yep, have a huge stack of different colors here...

It works okay, but be aware that you don't get the exact color as the backside. Some of the "cap" color remains on it. For example, the chocolate cap on the white back... when lasered, you end up with more of a light cream color. As long as you can work within those confines, you'll be okay...

Larry Bratton
07-22-2010, 8:41 PM
Dan,
If you have a huge stack..you must use it a good bit..what for? I would think it would make some cool announcements, placards for place settings etc. huh? Care to post an example?

Dan Hintz
07-22-2010, 8:44 PM
I got a pretty sweet deal on it at the time, so I picked up several of the variety packs. Several inches worth.

The intent was to make cards out of it, but I've been tied up with other things...

Lee DeRaud
07-22-2010, 9:07 PM
Some of the "cap" color remains on it. For example, the chocolate cap on the white back... when lasered, you end up with more of a light cream color.Sounds like the results of my experiments with photo matte board, which, come to think of it, is just a thicker version of the same stuff. I suspect that whatever power is enough to get through the top layer is also enough to lightly singe the second layer. I wanted to try some black-core matte board, but it's a lot higher cost and not nearly as wide a color selection as the standard white-core.

Marianne Oteiza
07-23-2010, 1:10 PM
Here's an image on one of their deep purples. Sorry about the lighting. The cardstock has a slightly glossy finish which caused the darkness to one side. Besides, I don't take the best pictures!

Dan Hintz
07-23-2010, 2:04 PM
What I didn't like about the Core'Dinations is there wasn't a "no bumpy pattern" option to their line-up. I understand the need for the embossing for the intended field, but I want their range of colors in a perfectly sheet.

Larry Bratton
07-23-2010, 2:46 PM
What I didn't like about the Core'Dinations is there wasn't a "no bumpy pattern" option to their line-up. I understand the need for the embossing for the intended field, but I want their range of colors in a perfectly sheet.
I assume you mean smooth in lieu of textured. The example posted by Marianne looks pretty good, I may try some of this stuff.

Dan Hintz
07-23-2010, 9:06 PM
That should have read "perfectly flat sheet"... missed a word in there.

Steve Clarkson
07-27-2010, 3:47 PM
Dan's correct.....you do get a slightly different color than what is underneath. Here are a few pics of my experiments......but I couldn't find anyone willing to pay for them........

Larry Bratton
07-27-2010, 4:12 PM
Dan's correct.....you do get a slightly different color than what is underneath. Here are a few pics of my experiments......but I couldn't find anyone willing to pay for them........
So, your conclusion is that it is not a viable product for our purposes? Too bad, it looked like it had promise. It would be nice to find one that would look good, similar to the quality that we get with engraving plastics. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Dan Hintz
07-27-2010, 4:47 PM
If you find the right application, I think the sheets will work well...

Larry Bratton
07-27-2010, 5:51 PM
What would you think would be a good application Dan?

Mark Winlund
07-27-2010, 7:23 PM
......but I couldn't find anyone willing to pay for them........

Now there's a recurring problem. I have made dozens of award samples utilizing the finest materials possible, with multiple combinations of techniques and disciplines.... everybody loves them, but aren't willing to buy them. It's like sports trophy work... they have a team consisting of 37 people and a total budget of $72. Someone will slave away at a company for 30 years, and the company will insist on particle board for the retirement plaque. And give them a $10 Timex watch for their efforts....

Mark