PDA

View Full Version : Joining Vectors in CD X5

Joe Peacock
07-22-2010, 6:19 PM
I need to know the best way to do something.
I have what appears to be a square on the screen but when I click on it there are 4 quadrants of vectors. Top left, top right, bottom left and bottom right. What is the fastest and best way to join all of them together so that when I click on the square I get one vector with 4 nodes, one in each corner?
I export these vectors to our IT guy who uses some of them on our web site. He says that even though I have them grouped so that they appear on my end to be one entity when he opens them in Adobe Illustrator there are four different vectors like I described. I need to make them into one vector on my end so that AI sees them as one vector and he has a lot less work to do joining up the work I send him. (The vectors I send him are a LOT more complicated than squares!)
Another example. Say I create two line segments 3" long and place them exactly opposite each other but 1/4" apart. How is the best way to "join" them together so that they are one vector with only two nodes, one on each end?
Thanks,
Joe

Sandy Henry
07-22-2010, 7:10 PM
Select the entire square, go to top of screen > Arrange > close path.
Select one line, click on shape tool or F10, grab a node & drag it to the end of the other line. Be sure "snap to objects" is selected under the View tab at top of screen. Then select both lines & again use Arrange > close path. Good Luck!

Joe Peacock
07-22-2010, 11:17 PM
Select the entire square, go to top of screen > Arrange > close path.
Select one line, click on shape tool or F10, grab a node & drag it to the end of the other line. Be sure "snap to objects" is selected under the View tab at top of screen. Then select both lines & again use Arrange > close path. Good Luck!
Sandy,
Thanks I will give that a try, I am sure it will do what I want to do.
Joe

Roy Brewer
07-23-2010, 2:03 PM
What is the fastest and best way to join all of them together so that when I click on the square I get one vector with 4 nodes,Joe,

I suspect you figured it out, but Sandy was giving you instructs for X4. In X5 (you lucky fellow) we have a complete Join Curves docker which has much more power than we had in X4.
You can get to it by Arrange>Join Curves or Windows>Dockers>Join Curves.

This will solve both scenarios if you understand the settings.

Joe Peacock
07-25-2010, 11:57 AM
Joe,

I suspect you figured it out, but Sandy was giving you instructs for X4. In X5 (you lucky fellow) we have a complete Join Curves docker which has much more power than we had in X4.

Roy,
Thanks for the info. I do have X5

Joe Peacock
07-25-2010, 5:55 PM
Joe,

Roy,
Thanks for the info. I do have X5.