PDA

View Full Version : Steel city planer

Frank Dominski
07-22-2010, 11:38 AM
I'm looking to buy a portable planer and saw the new Steel City 13'' with Helical cutter for $599.00. Does anyone have any input or seen any reviews on that unit. I was originally thinking about the Dewalt 735 but that cost just as much without the Helical cutter. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

Maik Tobin
07-22-2010, 11:47 AM
I'm looking to buy a portable planer and saw the new Steel City 13'' with Helical cutter for $599.00. Does anyone have any input or seen any reviews on that unit. I was originally thinking about the Dewalt 735 but that cost just as much without the Helical cutter. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

There have been several very favorable reviews. Google the model number and you will find them. I bought one about 6 months ago and I have been very happy with it. Thus far, I have planned approx 5-700 bf with no problems at all. Much of the wood I work with is cherry and maple, both regular and curly. So far, all lumber comes out of the planner needing only a light pass of sanding. As long as you provide adequate support in feed and outfeed, snipe is minimal.
I would not hessitate to recommend this unit.