PDA

View Full Version : Carma gave me a gloat

Mike Olson
07-22-2010, 10:49 AM
So, i stopped by an estate sale today on the way to work. didn't have much time, but I was only looking for some screw lid mason jars for a gumball machine which is my next project.

Parking at these things are horrible, especially if you hit it in the morning. Well i was following in a big blue Trailblazer down a very skinny road with cars parked on both sides. It pulled nose first into a spot on the right and brushed the side of a Porsche doing a heck of a number on the paint. long story short, i found the driver of the Porsche and gave him my name, number, and statement and i was now late for work. I quickly ran into the estate sale, went into the basement and there they were, a whole box of wooden molding planes. I gave it a quick once over, picked up the whole box bought it and left. I'm thanking Carma for this haul since I haven't ever seen anything like this in the year I've been rust "wood" hunting.

Cost me $10 for each plane, total of $98 including tax.
oh, and i totally forgot to look for the mason jars but i'm still very happy. not even sure what I have yet, maybe I'll look closer during my lunch hour.

Mike Olson
07-22-2010, 1:22 PM
Some more photos
I don't have spec yet since they are SO dirty I can't read anything on them.
Total of 9 molding planes.

1 - Angled "sash?" plane
2 - for making tongues
1 - for making the groove "hopefully this matches one of the tongue planes"
1 - Dado plane, with a groove on top that is missing something. "I posted 2 pic's of that one"
1 - something that's got a pit of a { pattern to it
1 - Plough plane, I think 3/8" or 1/2" with VERY rusty steel plates. "I may replace the steel with brass sheet"
2 - round over

I'm going to be doing a lot of cleaning tonight :D

george wilson
07-22-2010, 3:22 PM
They are moldy,probably from linseed oil or possibly old tallow on them. I know for sure that linseed supports mold. We quit using it and used tung oil for the tools we made for those who stored them in unheated sheds.

James Taglienti
07-23-2010, 5:12 PM
the plane with the groove is a worrall's patent plane... there's a removable handle thats worth 10x what the plane is worth... still that particular plane is worth more than if it didnt have the cutout.

it might say Ohio tool co, and then a patent date- worrall contracted a lot of ohio planes.

he patented many oddball planes that usually make miserable users, but those with the cutout are an exception. they're basically an ohio plane.