PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman Chain Saws

Michael Barry
12-06-2004, 2:19 PM
Has any one had any experience with Craftsman chain saws. Are they reliable? Will they start easily after a long layoff? I won't use it that often unless we get a bunch of hurricanes again next season. Sears is closing out an 18" 42cc saw for $159.88 w/ a case and an extra chain. Think it's worth it?
There's a big ol' mahogany log in my garage that's aspiring to be some bowls!

Lee Schierer
12-06-2004, 3:09 PM
At one point Craftsman chain saws were made by Poulan, but I don't know if they are anymore or not.

Storing any gas powered piece of hardware has its risks. Make sure you use gas stabilizer in the fuel and run it for some time after the stablilizer is in before storing it. Even so, you probably want to use it at least once a year anyway, replacing the gas with fresh gas.

Lou Morrissette
12-06-2004, 3:16 PM
I've had two of them thru the years and have cut beaucoup chords of wood and never had a problem. If you're faithfull to them about proper storage between seasons, they should be ok.

everett lowell
12-06-2004, 3:18 PM
My father had one for over 15 years,he would only use it a couple of times a year, sometimes not at all. it allways served him well,and he is very fussy! He took down some monsterous trees with it too! id say go for it a buck & a half aint bad.:confused:

John Weber
12-06-2004, 4:00 PM
Michael,

I would pass, my Dad has/had two Craftsman saws. Both required service over $50 at one point or another with light use. I think you can find better saws for a litte more money. We had both switched to Jonsered saws for about 6 years with know problems. I'm also a big fan of Stihl power equipment and have a blower and trimer that work and start with no problems. Stihl typically has a couple lower price point home owner models to compete with the box stores. But with Stihl you get a dealer that knows saws and will take care of you. They may also have some trade ins, if you want to save on a saw that will only see light work.

John

Tyler Howell
12-06-2004, 5:17 PM
For that price you could get a nice Milwaukee Electric Chain saw. If it is just for the one log I think you can do better. If it is for cords of wood I know you can!:o

Dennis McDonaugh
12-06-2004, 6:19 PM
I've had a 2.4 craftsman saw for 8 years and its been very reliable considering how much I've used it. I bought it to clear 20 acres and figured as cheap as it was ($129) I couldn't go wrong. I went through two bars and 4 chains, but the motor and clutch have held up well.

Keith Christopher
12-06-2004, 6:38 PM
Well I just watched a toolbox on the history channel (thanks TIVO) and they talked about a Sthil with a spring that makes starting their new chainsaws effortless.

Keith

Dave Avery
12-06-2004, 6:42 PM
Second what John said about Stihl. I have an 012 that is about 20 years old and it does nothing but run, regardless of how long it's been between starts or whether I've used fuel stabilizer. I'm guessing it's about 30cc and it's cut everything including serious oak. Total maintenance cost over 20 years, one spark plug and a bunch of compressed air to clean the saw and air filter.

Much like WW tools, you get what you pay for......

Jim Becker
12-06-2004, 7:06 PM
When we moved to this property in 1999, I bought an 18" name-brand chainsaw from the big-box that was very similar to the Sears unit mentioned in the original post. But I didn't get around to using it for awhile...frankly over a year. When I did, it worked...at least through the first tree and part of the second before it froze up solid. Since it was out of warranty, it was trash. Then I bought a small Stihl .029 FarmBoss with an 18" bar. That machine has been going strong for nearly four years now, starts very easy no matter what the weather or how long it's been between uses. And it was only about a hundred bucks more than that original unit that had no redeemable value. So my $300 Stihl really cost me $500...and could have only been $300 if I made the right decision the first time around.

Charles McKinley
12-06-2004, 9:56 PM
Hey Jim was that saw green and purple??? ;)

If you get it run it hard for at least a week. My dad bought one recently and had it less than a week and took it back they said it wasn't worth fixing and replaced it. The chain oiler didn't work.

If you buy something please set it up and run it. I too have been bitten by this. I will not buy lawn equipment (again)in the middle of winter the warrenty is gone before you use it. It is amazing what some "deals" can cost you. The day after the big stom is not the time to find out that the genarator does not run, put out juice, etc.

Have fun picking out a new toy. If you have a saw you might as well get a lathe. :D

Jim Becker
12-06-2004, 10:01 PM
Hey Jim was that saw green and purple??? ;)
No. Red...like my face after it went kaflooie! :o

Perry Schmidt
12-06-2004, 10:23 PM
Another vote for Stihl. I'm sure others are good too, but my Dad got one over 30 years ago, and it still runs well. And it's been used quite heavily over the years. I don't have one yet, but assuming I get one before I inherit his, I wouldn't consider any other brand. :)

Perry

Jim Ketron
12-06-2004, 11:11 PM
I say Get the Stihl I got my 250 saw it has a 18" bar for $100 more that the one you are looking at and they were runing a promo for a free case (mail in) but it was here in less than 2 weeks!
I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jim

Kelly C. Hanna
12-07-2004, 12:42 AM
Very well put Jim...mine was a red one also and it locked up shortly after the warranty vanished. Next time I want one like yours.

Jim Becker
12-07-2004, 9:35 AM
Very well put Jim...mine was a red one also and it locked up shortly after the warranty vanished. Next time I want one like yours.That was about the time that I "invented" my little saying..."The most expensive power tools are the ones you need to replace early and often." ;) I finally learned my lesson with that mass market chain saw, after a few episodes with some machines from "the most popular tool brand"...:rolleyes:

Bill Grumbine
12-07-2004, 9:40 AM
Hi Michael

I will tell you my story, although I do not know that it will have any value for you. When I first started turning, we were very poor, and a chainsaw just wasn't in my future. Then a large tree came down, and I siezed the opportunity. All I could afford was a Sears saw, mainly because I had a Sears credit card. I bought an 18" one - don't even remember the model anymore. I used that saw very hard for six years, and it was very reliable, until it got to the point where it just didn't have the power to cut the wood I was getting. I graduated to a Stihl, and then to another Stihl, two saws which will serve me for the rest of my life. However, I gave that Craftsman to a friend of mine for cutting firewood, and it is running to this day.

Now, the reason I started out with saying this may not help you is that the saw was purchased in 1993, and who knows how many things have changed with a Craftsman saw since then? I know nothing of their current offerings. My two Stihls work beautifully, but they might be considered overkill for the occaisonal user. I know the big one would. That is an 046 with a 28" bar. The smaller one is an 026 with a 20" bar, still no slouch in the woodcutting world. One thing to keep in mind is that Stihl has entered the homeowner market with their odd numbered saws, and while they are well made, they are not made as well as their even numbered professional saws. You can buy a pro saw, but it will cost you. The payoff is in knowing it will start all the time. However, if you cannot justify the expense of a saw like this, then I think the Craftsman would bear close inspection, as long as you are diligent about following preventive maintenance, etc.

Good luck with it.

Bill

thomas prevost
12-07-2004, 9:51 AM
Sears has closed their customer service. Plus these cheap saws are throw-aways (parts and shipping almost same as new saw). Want ads often have used Sthils and Huskys for about that price. Look for a good used one before buying a cheap saw.

Michael Barry
12-07-2004, 11:52 PM
Thanks to all for the timely responses. After all the input I guess I'll pass on this saw and make a visit to the local Stihl dealer. It's only money.

Tom LaRussa
12-08-2004, 9:20 AM
Has any one had any experience with Craftsman chain saws. Are they reliable? Will they start easily after a long layoff? I won't use it that often unless we get a bunch of hurricanes again next season. Sears is closing out an 18" 42cc saw for $159.88 w/ a case and an extra chain. Think it's worth it?
Look around for a used Stihl. I got 16 incher from another SMC'er for like $125 and it's been great (ever since I learned how to start it correctly -- :o ). Came with an unused spare blade. Has hardly any vibration at all and cuts like a demon.

There's a big ol' mahogany log in my garage that's aspiring to be some bowls!
How in the heck did you get yourself a mahogany log in Florida?:eek: :eek: :eek:

Michael Barry
12-08-2004, 9:18 PM
Tom,
There's plenty of mahogany down here. Went to my turner's club meeting and another member had a van full. The members in this club turn a lot of local stuff. Norfolk Island Pine, Avocado ( which spalts very nicely), Grapefruit, Black Palm, Rosewood, lots of others. I've got an Avocado branch that I believe will make some fine pens.

Michael Cody
12-08-2004, 11:15 PM
I know this might not be a popular item, but check out EBay. All my saws came off Ebay -- payed 107$ shipped for 4.5hp Echo (1991 model) with a 24" bar. Only downside it's a manual oiler. It's my splitting saw. I pay 161$ shipped for almost never used (based on appearence) Husky 350 that is my main saw today. I got a Shindawa Electric (for trimming in the shop) that looks well used but well taken care of -- paid 37$ shipped. Lastly I just bought a Sthil 066 Magnum -- looks like it was used maybe 20-30 times ... started on first pull .. paid 601$ delivered -- that is 900$ saw.

Anyway there are a lot of saws on EBay, if you are comfortable there, pay attention to the sellers ratings, etc.. you can steal a great deal on a saw. Right now there are at least 3 Rancher 55's new in box from reputable dealers going for 250-280$ "Buy in Now".. best price on the web is around 315-320$ .. plus there are at least half dozen that went for 215$ or under in the last month but are usually used. Same kind of differentials for Husky 345's, Stihl 026's going from 160$ for a well used unit to 310-315$ for a brand new in box. Anyway it's worth a little searching. Me I am an Husky user but Stihl's are fine and Echo's ain't bad (note they are made in USA) ..

Michael Barry
12-09-2004, 3:58 PM
Mike,
thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.