PDA

View Full Version : Dewalt RAS?

Cliff Holmes
07-22-2010, 9:57 AM
Did Dewalt make a decent RAS? I have a chance to get this one for $75

Sam Layton
07-22-2010, 10:33 AM
Hi Cliff,

DeWalt made a great RAS. The older saws were very well made and all cast iron. I can not tell much about the one you have in the photo. It looks like a newer one. It does not look like one of the models that is popular.

I am just learning about DeWalt RAS's. I just purchased the below one to restore. It is a DeWalt GWI 10", round top. The arm is all cast iron. Mine was built in March of 1957. I am in the process of rebuilding it.

Before you purchase that saw, research DeWalt radial arm saws.

Sam

Paul Steiner
07-22-2010, 12:25 PM
Dewalt made what are arguably the best RAS. It is hard to tell from the photos what the type and quality of the saw. But round arm saws are more sought after and trusted for accuracy. But plenty of people on owwm.org have the square arm saws and like them $40 to $50 would be a better price for that saw, you will have to build a table for it. If you take the plunge get the Mr. Sawdust book and check out the other forums for info.

scott allen
07-22-2010, 2:02 PM
Yes, DeWalt made some great RAS'es.

No, that is not one of them.

What you want to look for is one with a cast-iron arm, and a raising crank located at the top of the column (rather than on the end of the arm). You can't go wrong with any of the "round arm" machines or a 7790.

Scott

Homer Faucett
07-22-2010, 3:41 PM
As has already been said, DeWalt made great RAS's, and DeWalt actually invented the RAS. Sam probably has what I would consider the best home shop/contractor grade RAS DeWalt made, as it's small enough to still move around (at about 200 lbs!), has a 5/8" arbor and can take a standard dado set, and it's 1.5 hp.

I also have an MBF, which was the smaller home shop 9" RAS with a 3/4 hp motor. Plenty of power, and still smooth and accurate. I also have 2 of the 16" GE's with 5hp motors, but I don't know if I would recommend those to most people, as they just weigh a ton. What they all have in common, which the one in your picture does not, is that the arms are round and cast iron. You can commonly get an MBC or an MBF for around $50 in ugly, but working order. You may have to replace the motor bearings and clean the roller bearings and build a new table. Check out owwm.org to get more info, and owwm.com has all the old owner's manuals online.

All in all, I'd say look for a DeWalt RAS with a cast iron arm (round top), and give this one a pass.

Happy hunting.