PDA

View Full Version : Lasering Zippo

Abdul Baseer Hai
07-22-2010, 9:06 AM
All
Urgent:
Please let me know if a Zippo lighter can be lasered. I have to know as I have never tried it and have to respond to a customers query today
Thanks

Dan Hintz
07-22-2010, 9:08 AM
Using a marking compound, yes... done all of the time.

Abdul Baseer Hai
07-22-2010, 9:19 AM
I dont have a metal marking compound and have never used it. Should my answer be a NO, then

Larry Bratton
07-22-2010, 9:22 AM
Lasersketch sells some Zippos that are apparently engravable without using compound.
Look toward the bottom of this page
http://www.lasersketch.com/catalog/LS%20Gift%20Items.htm

Dan Hintz
07-22-2010, 10:40 AM
Can't tell if those are anodized or painted...

kyle bonnell
07-22-2010, 1:35 PM
I have lasered some stainless zippos but the engraving comes off. Can't wait till we get the pulse fiber lasers,(yes, that's plural!!!) then we don't have to mess with marking compounds.

Mike Null
07-22-2010, 2:10 PM
Zippo make lighters in using many materials. Only a couple are engravable with a laser (anodized) a few are engravable using Cermark and others are engravable using a diamond and yet others with a YAG.

The old standby, brushed stainless steel, can easily be marked with Cermark or a diamond.

zippo will tell you which is which if you have the numbers.

Abdul Baseer Hai
07-23-2010, 8:22 AM
thanks Mike. I'll try to locate the numbers.
I've found that Laserketch does offer laserable Zippo's. Has anyone seen their quality??

Larry Bratton
07-23-2010, 9:56 AM
Abdul, they are genuine Zippo lighters I'm sure. Lasersketch is a reputable company, so the quality issue would be with Zippo and not LS. I suspect though that those particular Zippos have their powder coated paint finish on them. I'm sure they would tell you if you contacted them.