PDA

View Full Version : I'm curious...

Ron Kellison
07-21-2010, 11:10 PM
I've been a member of Sawmill Creek for several years. I'm also a member of the FFW and Canadian Woodworker forums. FFW has gone down the tubes and, as a result, I find myself spending more time here than I used to. Maybe it's my fading memory but I seem to remember that the posts under "Woodworking and Power Tools" used to about evenly split between woodworking and power tools. Now it seems that about 98% of the posts deal with tools. I like tools just as much as the next guy but I also find that I miss the discussions about wood selection, assembly mistakes, endless discussions about sharpening, etc.

OK...my grumble is over, I feel better and you can now resume your regular programming. :)

Regards,

Ron

george wilson
07-21-2010, 11:13 PM
You miss those? You must be a glutton for punishment!!:)

Cliff Holmes
07-22-2010, 5:23 AM
I agree, I'd like to see "Power tools" and "Actual woodworking" split into two areas.

jerry nazard
07-22-2010, 5:34 AM
Ron,

Over in the Neanderthal wonderland we are endlessly debating whether or not to sharpen tools....:D

(hope this helps)

-Jerry

Will Overton
07-22-2010, 6:34 AM
I like tools just as much as the next guy but I also find that I miss the discussions about wood selection, assembly mistakes, endless discussions about sharpening, etc.

Ron,

The solution is to start a thread or two on those topics instead of grumbling about their absence. You may start a trend. ;)

OK, I'm finished grumbling. :)

Erik Christensen
07-22-2010, 8:18 AM
I will offer a contrary opinion - something I am naturally inclined to do :D

I see the bias towards tools as a sign of this boards continued growth and its success in attracting novices who are just getting the sawdust addiction. When you start out you are most interested in setting up & equipping your shop. Only after you fill your space with as much toolage as management lets you buy do you then ask yourself "how do I use these dang things".

Tom Walz
07-22-2010, 11:33 AM
Seems to me it kind of goes in waves although it is pretty tool centered lately.

Lee Koepke
07-22-2010, 12:16 PM
Well, just took some air-dried walnut, ran it through the jointer to see what it would look like and decide where I want to use it.

Its a very nice grain and color. I dont know if I want to even cut it, I am afraid my 'novice' skills will ruin a nice piece of wood :D

I decided to build a small sofa table using the walnut for the apron, drawer, legs, and bottom shelf. I want to use cherry for the top, as most of my other furniture is either made with or planned for using cherry.

That would tie it all together and offer a nice accent as you walk in the front door.

The stuff I got is all rough, so I guess I will have to plane down it all so I can pick the very best boards for the visible areas. My wife is actually like-ing my idea, which really helps motivate me.

:D

Rick Markham
07-22-2010, 2:14 PM
Ron,

Over in the Neanderthal wonderland we are endlessly debating whether or not to sharpen tools....:D

(hope this helps)

-Jerry

I'll take the great sharpening debate over the Pins first/ Tails first controversy :D

Larry Fox
07-22-2010, 2:20 PM
I think that the addition of the "Woodworking Projects" section has biased this forum more towards tools than it used to be.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-22-2010, 3:28 PM
I think that the addition of the "Woodworking Projects" section has biased this forum more towards tools than it used to be.

I think it certainly had an effect.

Darius Ferlas
07-22-2010, 3:34 PM
Ron, I think this is a conspiracy to stimulate the economy. ;)
You can't have threads about tools without, at least someone, buying them.

Callan Campbell
07-22-2010, 3:45 PM
Ron,

(hope this helps)

-Jerry No no no, over in the "Neanderthal" section there are knock-down, drag out fights over HOW TO SHARPEN!:p:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Worse and more widespread than a thread/post about Festool or SawStop.;););)

Andrew Pitonyak
07-22-2010, 3:46 PM

Brought an interesting image into my head:

Post 1: I was thinking about sharpening my tools, what do you think?

Post 2: Nah, I never sharpen, might ruin the collector value.

Post 3: Are you kidding? A sharp tool leaves a flatter surface.

Post 3: No really, sharpening tools is harmful, a sharp tool might accidentally cut the wood.

Andrew Pitonyak
07-22-2010, 3:50 PM
The solution is to start a thread or two on those topics instead of grumbling about their absence. You may start a trend.
I send a PM to Rick Markham about a Chef Knife, and I ended up with a new knife, some new water stones, learning a bunch about sharpening, and a knife that is so sharp it cuts tomatoes using just the weight of the blade. I think that by the time I am finished taking his advice, I will have much sharper plane blades and chisels as well.

My point is that I am always ready for another sharpening thread!

jerry nazard
07-22-2010, 4:01 PM
I send a PM to Rick Markham about a Chef Knife, and I ended up with a new knife, some new water stones, learning a bunch about sharpening, and a knife that is so sharp it cuts tomatoes using just the weight of the blade. I think that by the time I am finished taking his advice, I will have much sharper plane blades and chisels as well.

My point is that I am always ready for another sharpening thread!

Andrew,

So let's start a sharpening thread about knives! Where to put it? Neander, Off Topic, or General Woodworking?? What do you think?

-Jerry

Rick Markham
07-23-2010, 2:22 AM
Andrew,

So let's start a sharpening thread about knives! Where to put it? Neander, Off Topic, or General Woodworking?? What do you think?

-Jerry

Even though a knife is technically a hand tool, my guess would be the powers that be would think Off topic is the most appropriate ;) I'm always more than happy to share what I know, y'all share so freely with me!

Andrew, I'm stoked it's working for ya! That Chef knife will outlast you, just don't drop it and break the tip. I "lost" mine I had for 13 years a year or so ago, I was pretty bummed. Over the years it had become perfectly shaped to how I used it, Now I have to work on my new one... it's not the same yet... I get super attached to my tools!

Dave MacArthur
07-23-2010, 5:55 AM
I agree, the woodworking projects and design forums are where most folks post current projects and pics. And a LOT of discussion has moved to Workshops forum.

Andrew Pitonyak
07-23-2010, 9:04 AM
Andrew,

-Jerry

Under normal circumstances, I started such things in General, which includes power tools, but, Neander is likely appropriate.