PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Mini-Gloat

John Mark Lane
07-21-2010, 5:20 PM
This may not excite everyone, but I'm kind of tickled.

I have developed a sort of a morning ritual of checking the Sears website for tool deals. The prices on the Craftsman stationary tools change almost daily, and now and then you see a good deal. I picked up a petite little 7 1/4 inch SCMS for $99 the other day. I like it. I'm not a huge fan of Craftsman, but they seem to be getting better in some areas and some of the tools seem quite decent.

So they have these steel bandsaws that appear to be basically Rikons with different paint. There are some other different features, but the consensus seems to be that they rolll off the same assembly line.

They have a 14 inch that is a reasonable approximation of a 10-325. The listed resaw height is less at 8 inche, but that's plenty for me (I was considering the Rikon 12, which is 7 1/2). It shows a 1 hp motor instead of a 1.5. A couple of other things look like they might be differently, like the door knobs. But it's a cast iron table, steel saw, with what looks like a half-decent fence (I checked one out of the floor of Sears a month or so ago).

So I check this morning, and that saw is marked down to $384. Yes, that's right, $384 for a brand new 14 inch steel bandsaw. It must be purchased online, but can be picked up at Sears for no shipping charge. Deal is only good today and tomorrow. I grabbed one immediately. I figure it should probably work fine out of the box (or else it's going back), and if it could benefit from improvements down the line, I'll enjoy the process. If I decide I want a bigger saw, I imagine I will be able to get my money (or close) out of it.

So it may not be a giant gloat, but I feel like gloating a bit anyway.

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss61/jmarklane/untitled.jpg

Joe Wiliams
07-21-2010, 10:32 PM
'Bout time!:D

Congrats:cool:

Neil Brooks
07-21-2010, 10:52 PM
Eh.

A gloat's a gloat.

This one counts, too !

Good on ya' ! Let 'er rip (once you get a TimberWolf blade for it, that is) ;)

Kevin Lucas
07-22-2010, 5:16 PM
I got one of their 10 inch band saws for a good sale price. It's not big but works well for me. When I went to better 3/8 blades I did have to adjust the bottom wheels tracking a tiny bit but it was easy to do. Four bolts on the lower hub loosen and tighten until it tracked right. I'll bet you will be very happy with it.

John Mark Lane
07-22-2010, 5:38 PM
'Bout time!:D

Congrats:cool:

LOL, yeah. But the truth is, the shop space isn't ready for it yet, anyway. If I picked it up today (I haven't yet received the email that it's ready), I would have to find somewhere to put it until the floor is finished. As it is, I've got a table saw, a router and table and a jointer in my office, and a SCMS in my conference room at work. Everybody here thinks I'm nuts. I prefer not to lug a bandsaw in here, too. Another week....

And yes, as soon as I'm convinced it's a keeper, I'll be ordering some good blades for it.

The only machines left to get are a planer and a belt/disc sander. And DC.

Mark

John McClanahan
07-22-2010, 6:45 PM
I have a 12" model. I like it. Got it on sale for $279 several years ago.

John

Dustin Irby
07-22-2010, 7:11 PM
Congratulations. I just ordered one myself. It's my first stationary power tool. If anyone is interested, I just noticed that Bing cash back went up to 15% at Sears from 8% earlier today. I look forward to hearing how the saw works out for you.

Don Whitten
07-22-2010, 7:20 PM
Congrats, hope you enjoy and it works out for you.

Bruce Page
07-22-2010, 8:54 PM
Congrats John

Rob Price
07-22-2010, 9:34 PM
Man, decisions, decisions... I just started shopping for saws today and haven't done all my research. I'm looking in the $500-800 range but this seems like a deal. I realize no riser blocks- any other reason not to get this saw over the Grizz Ultimate or Jet/Rikon, etc?

John McClanahan
07-22-2010, 11:06 PM
My 12" has a full 12" throat capacity and can resaw up to 7" That's why it uses an "odd" 89 1/2" blade.

John

Curt Harms
07-23-2010, 10:01 AM
Those saws get good reviews. It does look like someone at Sears has noticed that Craftsman woodworking stuff had become a joke and decided to do something about it. Good to see. Even if you one day get a bigger saw, if you have the room keep that one and leave a narrow blade on it. it's nice to not have to either change blades or use the wrong one 'cause it's too much of a pain to put the right one on. It's not a Rikon 10-320 because the Rikon has 6" of resaw. i'd be surprised if blade guides and such aren't interchangeable though.