PDA

View Full Version : Another piece still bad photos.

Alan Trout
07-21-2010, 2:28 PM
Hello fellow Creekers,

This is a piece that I finished late last year. It is a mesquite root ball that the bark inclusions and worm holes are filled with resin and pigments. It is a little over 9 inches in diameter and a little under 4 inches high. It is a very simple form on purpose so the wood and resin would be highlighted and was left a little thicker that I normally leave my bowls but, It is one of my personal favorites. It again is a hard gloss finish in lacquer which in my opinion goes well with the resin. Again the photos are pretty poor and it looks much better in person. I call it "Turf And Surf". Cheers and jeers welcome.

Alan

Karl Card
07-21-2010, 2:35 PM
i like the bowl, the wood and the finish.... need i say more...

Roland Martin
07-21-2010, 3:15 PM
That's a pretty neat bowl. Did a nice job on the filler and makes for a really interesting bowl. Thanks for posting.

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-21-2010, 3:29 PM
I think it's wonderful and the photography is not bad at all. I love the color mixed with the natural grain. It's striking!!
fmr

Steve Schlumpf
07-21-2010, 3:45 PM
Wow - that sure grabs your attention! Really like the contrast between the filler and the wood! I can see why this is one of your favorites! Nice work!

John Keeton
07-21-2010, 4:01 PM
Alan, really an eye catching piece! The swirls in the filler look like mother of pearl (different color, of course!)

Thom Sturgill
07-21-2010, 4:05 PM
Definitely an eye catcher. Nice work.

charlie knighton
07-21-2010, 4:08 PM
very nice.....

bob svoboda
07-21-2010, 4:10 PM
No Jeers, just Cheers!

David E Keller
07-21-2010, 4:48 PM
Very nice. The colors are fantastic, and the simple form is great.

Bernie Weishapl
07-21-2010, 5:11 PM
Alan that is a beauty. The contrast of the color against that wood is awesome.

Richard Madden
07-21-2010, 5:23 PM
Very nice, I'd like to find a tutorial on filling a piece like this. Something I would like to try someday.

Matt Hutchinson
07-21-2010, 5:51 PM
Love it! I have really liked the idea of filling voids with cool stuff ever since I ran across a link to this guy's site.

Robert Chatelain (http://users.gmavt.net/rwcturner/gallery.html)

Keep 'em coming, cuz I wanna see more!

Hutch

Tom Sherman
07-21-2010, 5:54 PM
Pretty awesome stuff Alan, you did it justice.

John Hart
07-21-2010, 6:45 PM
Wow...pretty dazzling Alan!! I think you made the right decision on the form. Nicely done.:)

Baxter Smith
07-21-2010, 11:05 PM
Most filled pieces don't do much for me but the contrast and bright colors along with the swirls in the filler make this one a standout!

Alan Trout
07-22-2010, 12:35 AM
Thank's to everyone for the kind comments.

When I can get an appropriate light tent setup and backdrop maybe I can get some better pictures that show a bit more detail. I really like vibrant colors and really like experimenting with different materials. I tend to do a lot of different stuff. I like to tinker with ideas floating around in my head but unfortunately my job gets in the way of my hobby. Sometimes that idea gets put to the side for a few months at a time.

I have another unique piece that when I get some pictures of it I will post them.

Thanks,

Alan

Michelle Rich
07-22-2010, 7:04 AM
I agree with those before me..the filler is swirly & colorful and goes with the color of the wood..this one grabs one's attention.

Alan Trout
07-22-2010, 8:51 AM
Matt.

That is really cool site. I have not seen this guy before. I do mine a bit different than his but similar ideas. When I post pictures of my next piece I will explain my process. It is not new process just new for this application.

Thanks,

Alan

steven carter
07-22-2010, 9:55 AM
Alan,

Beautiful eye candy. No wonder it is one ouf your favorites.

Steve